Gun attack 'Utterly depressing' - political anger as two men rushed to hospital after double shooting in Derry
TWO men have been shot in a paramilitary style attack in Derry.
The double shooting happened in the Rinmore area of Creggan at around 7pm on Saturday.
Emergency services were called to an alleyway where the men are understood to have suffered gunshot wounds to their legs.
The victims -who local sources say are related - were taken to hospital for treatment to their injuries.
Their conditions are unknown.
It's believed one of the injured had attempted to crawl some distance to raise the alarm.
Politicians and community representatives have condemned those responsible.
Speaking to the Sunday World, Derry and Strabane District councillor Emmet Doyle said: "If this is revealed to be a punishment type shooting, the people behind it ought to be ashamed.
"Apart from being wholly unacceptable, we know our health service is dealing with a pandemic and don't need this extra pressure."
Writing on Twitter, SDLP leader Colum Eastwood said: "Utterly depressing that we've had a double shooting in Derry tonight.
"Our hospital has enough to deal with at this time. We don't want the law of the jungle in our city. Get off our backs."
Download the Sunday World app
- Special post boxes mark World Book Day
- Judge says sex offender should thank 'predator catcher' group for avoiding prison
- Man arrested over suspicious death in Northern Ireland
- PSNI and NCA seize 14 vehicles including high-end sports cars in Newry raid and charge 33-year-old
- PSNI want Portrush â€˜car cruiseâ€™ event to be called off
- Handball rule under the spotlight again as Spurs limp to a win at Fulham
- Jurgen Klopp plays down reaction of substituted Mohamed Salah in Chelsea defeat
- Rory McIlroy follows the lead of Tiger Woods as he roars back into form
- Jamie Carragher wants Liverpool to make a big change as Andy Robertson makes honest confession
- Mick McCarthy with a warning after he is rewarded with a new contract at Cardiff