huge haul Two arrested after £1.8m of cocaine and cannabis seized in Belfast docks
From 17th September to 4th October last year Operation Dealbreaker saw the removal of £1.34 million worth of drugs in Northern Ireland
Two people have been arrested after almost £2m worth of cocaine and cannabis was discovered on board a lorry.
Detectives from the Police Service of Northern Ireland’s Organised Crime Unit say they conducted an operation in the Belfast Harbour area in the early hours of Saturday.
A lorry was stopped and searched with approximately £1.8 million worth of cocaine and cannabis seized.
Two arrests were made - a man aged 36 and a woman aged 31 - on suspicion of possession of Class A and B controlled drugs and possession with intent to supply. Both remain in police custody at this time.
Detective Chief Inspector Richard Thornton said: “This search, seizure and arrest was conducted as part of the multi-agency approach to target organised crime and our ongoing commitment to address the criminality linked to drug importation, supply and use that often results in drug debts, drug addiction and drug-related deaths within our communities.
“Through Operation DEALBREAKER, and the multi-agency efforts of the Organised Crime Task Force, we will continue to carry out operations, to break the cycle of those who seek to cause harm through the illegal importation and supply of drugs in Northern Ireland, and to dismantle the organised criminals who profit from this incredibly harmful activity.
“I appeal to anyone with information about illegal drug use or supply, to call police on the non-emergency number 101.
“To anyone who thinks they might have a problem with alcohol and/ or drugs and would like to get help please visit www.drugsandalcoholni.info for information on support services near you.
“There is also a range of services available if you are affected by someone else’s drinking and/or drug misuse. Information on these services is also available on this website. These services are available to you regardless of whether or not your loved one is receiving help for their alcohol and/or drug problem.”
Last July the Police Service of Northern Ireland launched Operation DEALBREAKER – a multi-stranded, coordinated, collaborative operational approach to address every aspect of drug misuse across Northern Ireland.
From 17th September to 4th October last year alone, police figures show Operation DEALBREAKER saw the removal of £1.34 million worth of suspected drugs from the streets and communities right across Northern Ireland; conducted 94 searches; seized 317 drugs exhibits, made 129 arrests and charged more than 55 people for drug related offences.
- Notorious Co Down man remanded into custody for 'stalking' woman
- Man and woman charged following recovery of drugs worth £260k in Co Down
- DUP councillor at centre of child grooming claims pictured watching Rangers match
- Drunk man misses Belfast wedding after passing out in tour bus storage compartment
- Three held over Co Down knife murder of Eamonn O’Hanlon released unconditionally
- 5 things we learned from Sunday’s Premier League action
- Chris Pratt and Katherine Schwarzenegger welcome second daughter
- My players are legends, says Pep Guardiola after Manchester City’s title success
- Andrea Radrizzani looks forward with Jesse Marsch after Leeds retain PL status
- Oleksandr Zinchenko gives heartfelt thanks for support