Southern Trust investigates 'inaccurate' Covid-19 test results
An investigation is under way at the Southern Health Trust after almost 200 people were possibly given an inaccurate Covid test result.
BBC News NI has reported a trust spokesperson said the issue may be linked to one bottle of solution used within the laboratory.
It’s thought 193 people may be affected – including inpatients, staff and tests carried out in the community. But it’s not clear how many were given a wrong test result.
BBC News NI reported that around eight patients were nursed on a Covid ward in Craigavon when they had tested negative for the virus. Some were also unnecessarily given medication to treat Covid.
The Trust said the Covid swabs were taken between February 11-16 this year and the issue is linked to one bottle of solution used in the laboratory.
A statement said the "swabs in question are being reprocessed and the trust is contacting those people affected".
"All will be offered a retest and we are managing each person's individual circumstances as required," a spokesperson added.
It is not clear whether some patients may have been given a negative result when in fact they were positive.
A deep clean of the laboratory has taken place and a review of procedures is under way.
The Trust has apologised for any stress caused and is working to address the issue with the support of the Public Health Agency.
- Trial halted as mum accused of murder and attempted murder of sons changes plea to guilty
- HSE urged to secure vaccines as first monkeypox case confirmed in Northern Ireland
- Omagh bombing victim's dad slams delay extraditing Real IRA chief to Lithuania
- GAA stars and 2 Johnnies host among around 40 men tricked by 'mega catfish'
- Grieving mum wants answers after daughter (21) dies from suspected overdose in OAP's house
- Jurgen Klopp with a defiant message for Liverpool fans after Champions League heartache
- Thibaut Courtois barks back at his critics after Champions League final heroics
- Liverpool's Champions League dreams are shattered in Paris by Real Madrid's record breakers
- Kerry secure 83rd Munster title with convincing 23-point win over Limerick
- 'Shocking' scenes outside stadium as Liverpool fans are tear gassed by French police