mystery | 

Police investigation into 'grave' linked to rugby star sex abuser Davy Tweed ongoing

PSNI still probing small cross claimed to mark baby's resting place

Disgraced former Ireland rugby international, and Ballymena councillor David Tweed,was convicted of 13 counts of indecent assault, gross indecency and inciting gross indecency

By Hugh Jordan

A police investigation into a 'grave' which is believed linked to the late sex abuser Davy Tweed is still ongoing, detectives have confirmed.

And it appears it is only a matter of time before the mystery surrounding a curious wooden cross it's claimed that Tweed erected in a remote field near his farmhouse home is fully revealed.

Days after 61-year-old Tweed's death in a road accident in north Antrim at the end of October, the Sunday World was made aware of the existence of the cross.

Reporter Hugh Jordon, stands beside a small wooden cross Davy Tweed had erected on land close to the family farm near Dunloy

At the time we were told the spot may even have marked the final resting place of the remains of a baby.

And last month after collating more information on it, we met with officers from the PSNI to pass on the details of what we knew.

Last week the Sunday World revisited Galdanagh Road outside Dunloy where Tweed was born and reared on his parents' farm.

We stood at the cross it's believed he had erected.

It appeared to us as though someone had been working around the cross, but we never touched it or went too near it.

Locals who agreed to speak to us said they were keen to know the outcome of a police probe which has been running for a month.

Last night, a spokesman for the PSNI said: "An investigation is currently underway following information received relating to historical sexual abuse in the Dunloy area."

David Tweed before the Wales v Ireland Five Nations Championship at Cardiff Arms Park. The former Ireland rugby international has died in a crash in Co Antrim. Pic: David Jones/PA Wire

Tweed, an Irish rugby player who represented his country in the rugby World Cup finals, stood trial in two separate sex abuse cases.

In January 2009, he faced 10 charges against two young girls over an eight-year period.

In May of the same year though, he walked free when he was acquitted on all charges.

However, in another Crown Court trial three years later, Tweed beat a single charge of gross indecency against a young girl.

But the following day on November 28 2012, Tweed was convicted on a litany of horrific child sex abuse charges involving two young girls.

A stunned Tweed wobbled in the dock a Downpatrick Court as he was sent to prison for a total eight years.

Tweed was ordered to serve four behind bars before being released on licence to see out the rest of his sentence.

But just days before the first four years of his sentence was complete, Tweed brought his case before the Court of Appeal and he walked free on a technical issue.

He was accepted back into the Orange Order and the Apprentice Boys of Derry. And he even bought himself a new bowler hat to attend events.

He also began attending the Hebron Free Presbyterian Church in Ballymoney.

His former colleagues in the DUP and TUV parties in which he had served as a councillor began speaking to him again and he was invited to a number of social functions

But his rugby colleagues opted to keep him at a distance.

Tweed's photograph which was previously on a wall of fame at Ballymena RFC where - his talents as a rugby player had brought him international honour - was never replaced.

Today's Headlines

More Northern Ireland

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

WatchMore Videos