| 4°C Dublin

'Horrendous consequences' Mum warns parents after boy has part of bowel removed after swallowing fidget balls

Nine-year-old Preston had to have part of his bowel removed and couldn't eat for 48 hours

Close

Preston Adlam had to have part of his bowel removed after swallowing the toy

Preston Adlam had to have part of his bowel removed after swallowing the toy

Preston Adlam had to have part of his bowel removed after swallowing the toy

A west Belfast mother has urged other parents to be vigilant after her nine-year-old son swallowed magnetic fidget balls.

Preston Adlam had to have part of his bowel removed in an operation when he became ill after he swallowed the toy by accident while attempting to follow a popular TikTok trend in which people put the metal balls in their mouth to make it look like their tongue has been pierced.

Preston’s mother, Lyndsey went on social media after the incident, following which Preston couldn’t eat for 48 hours.

She posted: "So we all know that the new craze for kids are fidget toys, including these magnetic balls. If your kids have them please, please, please throw them in the bin now!

"My son Preston was playing with them pretending he had a tongue piercing, which resulted in him swallowing the balls… unbeknown to me!

"He became really sick and in a lot of pain for me to take him to hospital. A scan showed 3 magnetic balls in his bowel. He was rushed for emergency surgery where the balls were removed and also part of his bowel.

"This is no joke please throw them out if you have them, they are too dangerous and really should be illegal to sell."

Belfast Live reports Preston’s aunt, Claire, said parents “need to know just how dangerous these things can be”.

"Preston had been using them and was following some TikTok trend where people put them on their tongue in order to pretend that they have a piercing and he has swallowed three of them by accident.

"He had been given them and his mum had no idea that he had them until it was too late.

"We had no idea that anything was wrong until he started becoming very seriously ill on Saturday night.

“On Sunday when he was at hospital he had to be rushed into emergency surgery where he had part of his bowel removed and we are now just waiting to see what happens going forward.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

"Parents need to be aware of the dangers of these toys because a small accident can have horrendous consequences.”

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy