gun attack Man (53) injured in latest shooting incident in north Antrim
MLAs have expressed concern at rise in attacks in recent months in the area
A 53-year-old man has been injured after a shooting in Ballymoney.
The incident happened at around 7:30pm last night in the Mosside Gardens area of the county Antrim town.
The incident is the latest in a spate of shootings and attacks that have happened in the north Antrim area in recent months.
A PSNI spokesperson said the victim is currently receiving treatment for his injuries in hospital.
They added: "An investigation is now underway and we would urge anyone who may have been in the area at the time of the shooting or witnessed any suspicious persons or vehicles in the area, to call detectives and 101 quoting reference number 1841 of 22/02/21."
Independent MLA for East Londonderry, and former justice minister, Claire Sugden, said: "Another concerning incident to add to the very long list of shootings in a year. This issue needs focus. They can pretend they are something other than criminals but they are nothing more than selfish thugs keeping their communities down."
Mervyn Storey, DUP MLA for North Antrim, said: "I have previously expressed my concern and that of the local community, that if there is not an end to these incidents someone is going to get seriously injured or even worse.
"Whatever the reason and whoever is involved I would urge them to bring this reign of terror to an end."
Download the Sunday World app
- PSNI want Portrush â€˜car cruiseâ€™ event to be called off
- Mum of tragic teenager Noah Donohoe says he may have been 'threatened or injected with a heroin needle'
- Cops uncover cannabis factory in County Armagh
- Woman and girl rescued from water after going overboard from Belfast ferry
- Jim Corr takes legal action against Twitter for suspending his account
- Man arrested and charged over armed robbery of shop in Dundalk, Co Louth
- Gareth Bale ignores critics as he returns to form for Tottenham
- Mum gives birth to baby girl named Cara in car park of Letterfrack Garda station
- Football rumours from the media
- Man accused of pepper-spraying Luas security guards who asked him to wear a face mask