| 5.1°C Dublin

gun attack Man (53) injured in latest shooting incident in north Antrim

MLAs have expressed concern at rise in attacks in recent months in the area

Close


A 53-year-old man has been injured after a shooting in Ballymoney.

The incident happened at around 7:30pm last night in the Mosside Gardens area of the county Antrim town.

The incident is the latest in a spate of shootings and attacks that have happened in the north Antrim area in recent months.

A PSNI spokesperson said the victim is currently receiving treatment for his injuries in hospital.

They added: "An investigation is now underway and we would urge anyone who may have been in the area at the time of the shooting or witnessed any suspicious persons or vehicles in the area, to call detectives and 101 quoting reference number 1841 of 22/02/21."

Independent MLA for East Londonderry, and former justice minister, Claire Sugden, said: "Another concerning incident to add to the very long list of shootings in a year. This issue needs focus. They can pretend they are something other than criminals but they are nothing more than selfish thugs keeping their communities down."

Mervyn Storey, DUP MLA for North Antrim, said: "I have previously expressed my concern and that of the local community, that if there is not an end to these incidents someone is going to get seriously injured or even worse.

"Whatever the reason and whoever is involved I would urge them to bring this reign of terror to an end."

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Online Editors


Privacy