| 11.1°C Dublin

simm-ering row Glenn Quinn murder suspect Colin Simms in boozy altercation with women

Witnesses say Simms was in tears as he was led away from the house


Colin Simms

Colin Simms

Colin Simms

Glenn Quinn murder suspect Colin Simms is in the doghouse after being involved in a boozy altercation with his partner and two other women.

Simms was dragged from a house in Carrick earlier this month following a drink and drugs-fuelled row.

Police were called to a house in the Woodburn area of the town after reports of a disturbance.

Witnesses claim Simms was in tears as he was dragged from his home by members of the PSNI's Armed Response Unit.

The Sunday World understands Simms had been drinking in the town during the day on Sunday April 10 with his partner and two other women when they became embroiled in a drunken spat.

It is understood the argument continued as the quartet made their way to Simms' home where it escalated further.


Glenn Quinn

Glenn Quinn

Glenn Quinn

Now South East Antrim UDA chiefs are believed to be concerned that police will use his time in police hands to "turn him".

The Sunday World understands he was not formally arrested but was removed from the scene following a complaint of a disturbance. It is also understood none of the women present in the house wanted to make a formal complaint.

And we can reveal that one of the women involved in the dispute with Quinn, who is not his partner, was one of a number of people questioned in relation to the Quinn murder.

Glenn was murdered in January 2020 by members of South East Antrim UDA, and last night Glenn's brother Martin said he believed the boozy row and arrests show that cracks are beginning to show. "We've kept the pressure on, a fallout was inevitable," he said, "we just hope those cracks will now translate into creditable information and convictions."

Simms remains the main suspect in the January 2020 murder. He was among those questioned and was initially released on police bail.

He has always denied involvement but the South East Antrim UDA man remains linked to the inquiry. The Sunday World is aware of the identities of the women involved in the dispute.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Sources say the incident and Simms' brief detention has caused uneasiness at the top of the South East Antrim UDA organised crime gang.

The leadership is worried that a fallout between two prime suspects in the Quinn murder could spell trouble.

"If one of those two talks, then SEA is in trouble," a source in the town told us.

The woman is alleged to have passed on a remark Glenn made about the SEA. She is believed to have been in his apartment looking for a favour when terminally ill Glenn commented on an SEA arson attack on a business in the town.

She is alleged to have passed his remark on, and unknowingly, sealed Glenn's fate. Members of the terror group waited in the hallway of his apartment block at Ashleigh Park and assaulted him as he returned home.

They unleashed a remorseless attack with iron bars and bats, leaving him in a bloodied heap.

Glenn suffered 52 fractures to his upper body alone, and was left with horrific facial injuries.

Simms will not have been questioned about the Quinn murder this time round. But being such a notorious criminal with a strong history with SEA UDA, he will have been approached by PSNI intelligence officers.

"It is normal practice and procedure," a security source told us. "There is no doubt intelligence officers will have spoken to him, it is known as an 'intelligence interview' and is basically a recruitment pitch."

Our source said that given his circumstances, Simms will have been regarded as "vulnerable" to an approach.

According to our source, the fact Armed Response Officers answered the call rather than regular police is an indication of the risk assessment made.

"Given Simms' violent background, the Armed Response Unit was tasked," our source said.

Convicted killer driver Simms - who also has a drugs conviction - was once a trusted lieutenant for SEA chief Gary Fisher.

His star has fallen since he was allegedly caught with his hands in the till syphoning off proceeds from the organisation's drug trade which earned him a punishment shooting on Fisher's orders.

He was stood down over his alleged involvement in the Quinn murder amid a furious community backlash. He continues to protest his innocence and has never been charged but he is also seen as a symbol of SEA's ruthlessness.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Top Videos

Available now on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or Google Podcasts.