| 7.7°C Dublin

Terror in town No child or woman is safe, victim of sex predator John Nugent warns

"I can't put it into words how it made me feel. I literally just wanted to stay at home so he couldn't stalk me again like he did in 2015"

Close

The woman was followed by Nugent before he sexually assaulted her

The woman was followed by Nugent before he sexually assaulted her

The woman was followed by Nugent before he sexually assaulted her

A 56-year-old woman who was stalked and groped by pensioner sex predator John Nugent has warned: "No child, no woman, is safe as long as he remains in Wexford town."

We revealed last week how the evil child abuser, who warned three sisters their parents would die of stroke if they told on him, has been placed back in Wexford by the probation service after his release from prison.

Nugent (76) has now been housed in a council owned flat - at the behest of the probation service - just 750 metres from one of his victim's present home.

Today, a 56-year-old woman reveals how the serial predator, while on bail for abusing the girls, spent months stalking her before viciously sexually assaulting her in broad daylight.

"When I heard he had been put back living in the centre of the town it absolutely knocked me for six," the woman told the Sunday World.

"I didn't want to go out - I didn't want to do anything.

"I can't put it into words how it made me feel. I literally just wanted to stay at home so he couldn't stalk me again like he did in 2015."

Describing her own ordeal at the hands of Nugent, the woman said it began when every time she walked through Wexford town, she would turn to see him following along behind her.

Close

John Nugent

John Nugent

John Nugent

"Any time I went into town he was always behind me," she said.

"It was really worrying because I couldn't understand it - how could this man know whenever I was going into town?

"It wasn't until afterwards when he was identified that I realised I was passing by his house almost every day and that he was waiting to see me go by.

"It went on for about a year before he attacked me. He'd follow me along, saying things like: 'You've got a fine arse' or 'look at the breasts on you'.

"He was 71 at that stage. I was gobsmacked but I thought the best thing to do was just ignore him and I tried to avoid him.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

"Then one day I was walking by Flanagan's of Wexford, it was approximately noon, broad daylight on a June day, and he grabbed me.

"He had one hand between my legs and one hand on my breast. And when I turned around it was him."

The woman said she was so stunned and sickened that the events that followed are a blur even now.

"I can't honestly say whether he was trying to drag me somewhere or whether he just wanted a quick feel."

Close

We revealed last week how Nugent has been housed near his victim

We revealed last week how Nugent has been housed near his victim

We revealed last week how Nugent has been housed near his victim

The woman said she went to the gardai straight away but she didn't make a formal statement as she was too upset at that stage.

She subsequently underwent counselling and a year later she made a formal complaint to gardai.

Nugent, who was jailed for the sexual abuse of three little girls in 2017, was subsequently sentenced to a year in prison for the sexual assault of the 56-year-old woman.

"They brought him from the prison to the court and the way he behaved in court was the exact [same] as when you [the Sunday World] asked him about his abuse of those girls," she said.

"The guards had a statement they had taken from him and he denied ever having spoken to the guards.

"He denied ever meeting them and he denied ever having met me before.

"At the end of it he was found guilty and sentenced to one year in prison.

"But the judge ordered it to run concurrent with the other sentence - so he didn't spend one extra day in jail for what he did to me.

"The reason I'm speaking out about this now is that I think it is ridiculous he has been put back here. Nothing is being done to protect us, his previous victims.

"No child, no woman, is safe as long as he is here in Wexford town."

The Sunday World contacted Wexford County Council to ask whether it had a policy on housing sex offenders in council property and whether any thought is given to the proximity of the property to previous victims.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy