| 9.7°C Dublin

MMA star Conor McGregor denies pub sex attack

McGregor is in Mediterranean with family on €3m yacht & was training for 180km water bike charity event in Monaco

Close

Alleged incident took place in a bar in Calvi, Corsica

Alleged incident took place in a bar in Calvi, Corsica

Alleged incident took place in a bar in Calvi, Corsica

Conor McGregor last night denied "any accusations of misconduct" after he was arrested in Corsica for alleged attempted sexual assault.

According to reports in France, the UFC superstar was arrested by police on the island on Thursday investigating allegations of indecent exposure and attempted sexual assault.

Crumlin-native McGregor had been sailing around the Mediterranean on his yacht recently with fiancée Dee Devlin and their children.

He had also been preparing to take part in a charity event alongside Princess Charlene of Monaco in a bid to raise awareness for water safety yesterday.

But he had to pull out after he was arrested and taken into custody following a complaint that was filed on Thursday September 10.

It has been alleged McGregor was responsible for "acts that could be described as attempted sexual assault and sexual exhibition".

Interviewed

However, a McGregor representative told TMZ Sports last night: "Conor McGregor vigorously denies any accusations of misconduct.

"He has been interviewed and released." A court official in Corsica issued a statement confirming Conor's arrest.

The prosecutor's office wrote in a statement: "Following a complaint filed on September 10 denouncing acts that could be described as attempted sexual assault and sexual exhibition, Mr Conor Anthony MacGregor was the subject of a hearing by the gendarmerie services."

No further details were released by officials but France 3 TV reported that the alleged incident took place in a bar in Calvi where McGregor had been drinking. It is claimed the events that led to McGregor's arrest took place over the night of September 6 and 7.

McGregor, who had been spending time in the area and attended a Tour de France cycling event, took to Twitter on Friday to reveal how USADA, UFC's drug testing committee, had turned up at his yacht despite the multi-millionaire claiming to be retired from mixed martial arts.

As the former two-weight UFC world champion, who retired earlier this year, prepared for the 180km challenge he was drug-tested on board his €3.3 million super-yacht by USADA officials.

The Crumlin native posted pictures on social media of a drug-testing kit and said: "What's going on here UFC?

Testing

"USADA have just arrived to my yacht this morning for testing? I've retired guys!

"But go on then, I'll allow them test me. It's all natural here baby! Forever and always, God Bless. 180km across the Mediterranean Sea tomorrow! LET'S GO!!"

McGregor was recently pictured attending a lavish event in the region, on the port of Calvi, alongside his fiancée Dee.

The 32-year-old has spent several weeks in Corsica to prepare for the 180km water bike challenge from Calvi to Monaco, and had been due to set off on the trip with Princess Charlene of Monaco yesterday. This is not the first time that McGregor has found himself in trouble with the law.

He was arrested and prosecuted for throwing a steel dolly through a UFC bus window in 2018 and he was also arrested for felony robbery for taking a man's cell phone at a Miami hotel in 2019.

In November of that year he pleaded guilty to punching a man in a Dublin bar in an unprovoked attack and was fined €1,000.

McGregor announced his retirement in June for the third time in just four years after growing frustrated at a lack of viable opponents.

But the proposed return of Nick Diaz early next year prompted him to hint at a return.