| 7.3°C Dublin

Megxit fallout Meghan Markle and Prince Harry respond to claims the Duchess 'humiliated' staff

The British monarchy's troubled times hit a new low on the day Philip was facing surgery as the fallout from 'Megxit' worsened.

Close

The Duchess of Sussex (Jeremy Selwyn/Evening Standard/PA)

The Duchess of Sussex (Jeremy Selwyn/Evening Standard/PA)

The Duchess of Sussex (Jeremy Selwyn/Evening Standard/PA)

Britain's Prince Philip has undergone successful heart surgery - just three months before his 100th birthday.

Buckingham Palace said Philip had the procedure for his pre-existing heart condition at St Bartholomew's Hospital in London on Wednesday.

The palace said the 99-year-old will remain in hospital for "treatment, rest and recuperation" for a number of days.

The news was announced amid growing tensions within the British royal family ahead of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's controversial televised Oprah interview.

Harry and Meghan have faced calls for the broadcast on Sunday to be postponed out of respect for Philip.

But a source close to the couple said American network CBS is not believed to have any intention of changing the date.

Philip has been treated for heart problems in the past.

The prince was admitted to a private hospital on February 16 after feeling unwell, before being transferred to a specialist hospital by ambulance on Monday.

He has now spent 16 nights in hospital - his longest ever stay.

"The Duke of Edinburgh yesterday underwent a successful procedure for a pre-existing heart condition at St Bartholomew's Hospital," Buckingham Palace said.

"His Royal Highness will remain in hospital for treatment, rest and recuperation for a number of days".

The British monarchy's troubled times hit a new low on the day Philip was facing surgery as the fallout from 'Megxit' worsened.

Meghan was accused of bullying former royal staff, with The Times newspaper alleging she drove out two personal assistants and "humiliated" employees.

The palace responded by launching an investigation into the claims, saying it is "very concerned".

It also said it would invite past and present staff to speak in confidence about their experiences of working for Meghan.

A spokesman for the duchess said she was "saddened by this latest attack on her character".

Harry and Meghan quit as senior royals in March last year, amid struggles with their roles and intense press attention.

When their departure became permanent last month, Queen Elizabeth stripped the couple of their royal patronages, and Harry of his honorary military roles.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Sunday World


Top Videos





Privacy