'incredible story' Woman who lost 10 relatives in Carrickmines tragedy says council have offered her new home
Sarah Jane Lynch told the Sunday World she had been living on the streets of the town
A pregnant homeless woman who lost 10 relatives in the Carrickmines tragedy has said Wicklow County Council have contacted her to try to find her a home after she told her story in last week’s Sunday World.
Sarah Jane Lynch (25), from Bray, Co. Wicklow, told the Sunday World she was living on the streets of the town six years after the council told her to vacate a caravan in her parents garden due to safety concerns following the deaths of 10 of her relatives at a halting site in Carrickmines in Dublin in 2015.
She said the council initially promised to rehouse her after she left the caravan but instead she ended up in hostels and on the streets where she suffered a number of attacks.
A spokesman for Wicklow County Council said they did not comment on individual cases when the Sunday World contacted them ahead of last week’s story.
However, Sarah Jane said they contacted her after the story was published and they are now trying to arrange accommodation.
“The council rang after the story went in and offered to put in an extension to my mam and dad’s house but I said no. I want my own thing to call home and my own front door,” she said.
She said the council are now trying to find her a home of her own.
“They sent me out a form on places where I’d like to live. I’d already done that on my housing application but I did it again.”
Sarah completed the forms on Friday and spoke to a council official assigned to her case who said she would do her best to try to help her.
“She told me she’s working with me now to help get me something. She said she couldn’t promise miracles or anything but she’s working with me now.
“I told her I’d take a house in Fassaroe. There are houses boarded up all over Fassaroe and more than likely I’d say I’ll get a phone call such a house is available in Fassaroe because some people don’t want to move in there.”
Sarah Jane said it was thanks to the Sunday World that her situation is looking good.
“That story was incredible. It was amazing. You did a great job. I’m shocked. It’s all thanks to the Sunday World.
“I’m over the moon. I’m absolutely delighted. I just can’t wait until I have my own place.”
Sarah Jane lost her aunties, cousins and other relatives in the horrific fire in 2015. She was extremely close to her relatives who she said were more like brothers and sisters to her and said she struggled with life in the wake of her deaths.
She had been living in hostel-type accommodation but said she was sexually assaulted in one facility while she left another after she said she was falsely accused of selling drugs.
Sarah Jane, who found out she was two months pregnant on New Year’s Eve, said she had been living on the streets with her partner for a number of months and had been attacked while living rough.
Her son and daughter are living with her parents in Bray and while Sarah Jane sees them everyday, she wants then to live together in the same house.
She said she is now very hopeful that she will get to live with her kids again.
- Irish man arrested in London accused of stealing high-end cars in Dublin and Kildare areas
- Video captures shocking moment Brinks van transporting money catches fire on the N11
- Shocking video shows girl (15) attacked and beaten by middle-aged woman in Dublin
- Vicky Phelan shares pics of ‘pure bliss’ Co Clare getaway
- Three arrested after car smashes into Irish tanning shop causing huge fire
- What time, channel, team news and all you need to know about Man City v Aston Villa
- Jurgen Klopp with a warning to Man City as Premier League title race reaches conclusion
- Tennis plunged into civil war as ranking points are stripped from Wimbledon over Russia ban
- Fernandinho ‘really proud’ of achievements as he prepares for City swansong
- No hangover next season if Arsenal miss out on Champions League – Mikel Arteta