Video captures e-bike bursting into flames in Dublin’s Ilac Shopping Centre
The moment an electric bike burst into a ball of flames in a Dublin city shopping centre has been caught on a dramatic video.
The e-bike caught fire outside McDonald’s in the Ilac Shopping Centre on Sunday and Dublin Fire Brigade raced to the scene.
There was nobody hurt in the fire which went from smoking to a blaze in a matter of seconds as staff stood in and extinguished the blaze quickly.
Fires on e-bikes often escalate quickly as the Lithium-ion battery produces its own oxygen, acting as an oxidative agent, adding to the speed and intensity of the fire.
“Firefighters were called to a city centre shopping centre yesterday where an electric bicycle caught fire inside the centre's mall.
“Staff managed to knock back the fire with an extinguisher before it could take hold,” the Dublin Fire Brigade said.
It is believed the battery of the vehicle overheated and caught fire, which sent the e-bike into flames quickly.
Dublin Fire Brigade urge owners of e-bikes to:
TRAGIC ACCIDENT | Boy (12) who died in crash with a truck took mum’s car as she slept, inquest hears
WATCH | Video shows dramatic moment out-of-control car crashes through wall of house in Roscommon
'Heartbreaking' | Elderly couple forced to wait two hours for ambulance lying ‘in middle of the road’
EXCLUSIVE | Hotelier tried to buy off paedo son’s victim with €50k after exiting bankruptcy
YOU'RE LICKED | Giant ice-cream cone stolen from Donegal business returned
Alleged abuse | Brothers face intimidation charges over sickening incident at young mum’s door
Ky-spiracy | Kylie Minogue accused of being ‘Illuminati puppet’ for using ‘Satanic’ symbols
sinister | Inside problem flats where heroin kingpin fell to death and needles and crack pipes lie abandoned
RIP | Tributes paid to up-and-coming cyclist (24) who died in Dublin crash
Fer Game | Runaway ferret spotted near garda station in Laois as appeal for owners issued