EXAM FIASCO Up to 450 new CAO college offers after predicted grading error
Higher Education Minister Simon Harris has revealed that up to 450 new college places will have to be created for students whose results were slashed in the predicted grades fiasco.
Mr Harris said a meeting will be held today to attempt to resolve the latest Leaving Cert blunder.
Last week, the Department of Education landed the dunces cap when it admitted that two errors were found in the calculated grades system.
Due to a flaw in the algorithm 10pc of this year’s 61,000 Leaving Certificate students have been affected.
Taking to Twitter this morning, Simon Harris shared the news and vowed to come up with a credible solution to the problem.
Just concluded a meeting with the CAO. Very grateful to them for the work they are undertaking. Between 400-450 new offers will be required. CAO will provide a further update and timeline later today. Solution focused! Meeting Higher Education Authority at lunchtime— Simon Harris TD (@SimonHarrisTD) October 5, 2020
“Between 400-450 new offers will be required. CAO will provide a further update and timeline later today,” he wrote online.
“Solution focused! Meeting Higher Education Authority at lunchtime.”
When news of the catastrophic errors emerged, Education Minister Norma Foley told the Dail that students who have already started the academic year in third level, but would like to defer their new offer until next year can do so and will qualify for the SUSI grant and free fees as though it were their first year of college.
The deadline for those students who wish to apply to sit the written Leaving Certificate exams has been extended.
In an apology to students, Ms Foley continued: “The announcement that was made has generated a lot of anxiety and worry for them. While the announcement was important, we couldn’t provide all the answers to their questions at that time.”