THE mother found dead with her two children in south Dublin today had been the victim of an attack earlier this year, locals say.
The woman and her son and daughter, aged between six and 11 years old, were found dead at their home in the Llewellyn estate in Ballinteer in suspicious circumstances today after neighbours raised concerns.
Local sources say the mother was the victim of a separate attack earlier this year.
“She was attacked during the first lockdown,” said one local. “But people are completely shocked by this.”
Locals are planning to hold a candlelight vigil for the woman children in the estate at 7pm this evening.
Local Labour Councillor Peter O’Brien told the Sunday World that he is absolutely "devastated" to learn of the tragedy that took place at the Llewellyn estate in Ballinteer this morning.
The young family are believed to have moved to Ireland a number of years ago had become an integral part of the local community.
And according to Cllr O’Brien, it is a testament to the community spirit that neighbours raised the alarm and alerted the gardai.
On arriving, officers forced their way into the house and found the bodies of a mother and two children, a boy and a girl.
The scene at the house in the southside suburb of the capital has been preserved and the State pathologist has been alerted.
“I am still in shock to be honest”, Councillor O’Brien told the Sunday World.
“The estate would have second generation families, a lot of young families and some elderly people.
“There has never been any antisocial element to it.
“As an estate it is a well-established, well settled and is a well looked after estate.
“I have just found out and it is unbelievable.
“It shows the community spirit of the area that it was the neighbours that raised the alarm. They looked out for each other; I am devastated.
“I haven't heard of any issues in the area lately and I know it is a cliché but the community is devastated.”