Latest figures Tony Holohan issues warning as six new deaths and 456 Covid-19 cases confirmed
Ireland’s top doc has said that higher than expected Covid-19 numbers in recent days are causing concern that progress in the battle to stem the virus is at risk.
Dr Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health, was speaking this evening after the Health Protection Surveillance Centre reported six additional Covid-19 related deaths, all of which occurred in November.
This has brought Ireland’s total death toll to 1,978
As of midnight Friday, November 13, the HPSC said it had been notified of 456 confirmed cases which has brought that total to 67,526.
Of the cases notified today some 210 are men and 246 are women, 69 per cent are under 45 years of age and the median age is 33.
There were 151 recorded in Dublin, 38 in Limerick, 27 in Cork, 27 in Donegal, 27 in Galway and the remaining 186 cases are spread across 20 other counties.
As of 2pm today, 254 Covid-19 patients were in hospital with 32 in ICU. There were 11 additional hospitalisations in the past 24 hours.
Dr Holohan said analysis of today’s data shows the 5-day moving average of case numbers has increased from 354 to 392.
“We have seen higher numbers in recent days than we expected based on the encouraging trends of the last three weeks,” he said. “We are concerned that this progress is at risk. We have to remember that the virus is still very active in the community and we cannot let our guard slip. NPHET will continue to monitor the situation closely over the coming days.”
He added: “We all need to focus on what we can do to stop the spread of this disease; wash our hands regularly, wear a face covering, keep our distance from others, avoid crowds, limit our social network, know the symptoms, self-isolate and contact a GP if we have them.
“Stay at home and restrict our movements if you are a close contact of a confirmed case."