| 15.1°C Dublin

further claims Third person claims they were sexually assaulted by deceased councillor Anthony Flynn

The young man is understood to have contacted the authorities on Thursday night

Close

ICHH co-founder and councillor Anthony Flynn

ICHH co-founder and councillor Anthony Flynn

ICHH co-founder and councillor Anthony Flynn

A THIRD person has contacted gardai alleging they were the victim of a sexual assault at the hands of deceased councillor Anthony Flynn.

A source told the Sunday World the young man met with detectives at Store Street Garda station on Thursday evening.

A former client of Inner City Helping Homeless, he is understood to have alleged he was assaulted on more than one occasion by the deceased councillor.

He is further understood to have claimed that one of the alleged assaults occurred after the deceased councillor had been spoken to by gardai in connection with a separate allegation in May

In a statement to the Sunday World, gardai said: “An Garda Síochána does not comment on specifics of ongoing cases.”

The latest allegations come just a week after we revealed how one of two men who had previously accused the late Cllr. Anthony Flynn of sexually assaulting him has been forced to go into hiding after details of his identity became known in the local community.

A source told the Sunday World that young man, a client of Inner City Helping Homeless which Mr. Flynn founded, had been housed at an address for the last eight months but was moved to hotel accommodation over concerns for his safety.

The source said the decision to move the young man had been taken as a precautionary measure and not as a result of ‘an overt threat’ against him.

In the wake of Mr. Flynn’s passing on August 18, the source said one of these third parties discussed the complaint and the complainant’s identity with other individuals.

It is understood Mr Flynn had not divulged the allegations by the second complainant to anyone and this individual’s identity is understood to remain a closely guarded secret.

Both men came forward to gardai in May alleging they had been sexually assaulted by Anthony Flynn at his home after he ordered taxis for them bringing them to the property.

Mr. Flynn was interviewed by gardai in relation to the allegations.

However, when the charities regulator wrote to the board of ICHH in late June, querying an allegation that a worker with the organisation had behaved in a sexually inappropriate manner, Flynn did not divulge the allegations made against him to his fellow board members.

Shortly afterwards, gardai contacted ICHH requesting the charity’s taxi receipts from the period during which the assaults took place.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

It was at this point that the board learned Mr Flynn was under investigation in relation to the sexual assault allegations.

He was subsequently suspended from ICHH on the grounds he had misled the board.

Subsequently ICCH received queries from two separate media organisations in relation to allegations a staff member was under investigation for sexual assault.

The board’s chair David Hall responded to these queries confirming that a staff member had been suspended but no details were given in the statement that could have led to the identification of Anthony Flynn.

The statement confirmed that an employee had been suspended, following “serious matters” that came “to the attention of the board”.

Six days later Mr. Flynn took his own life.

His death caused widespread shock and anger in the inner city where he was a popular character and revered for his work in helping the homeless.

It also led to widespread criticism of the board of ICCH and its former chairman David Hall.

Mr. Hall subsequently stepped down as chair of the charity citing threats to his safety,

In a note to the charity’s staff confirming his decision to step down, Mr Hall said the days after Mr Flynn’s death had seen an “unwarranted social media blame campaign”, which had led to “personal safety threats against me and others.”

“I was advised by gardai that due to threats to my own personal safety, it is not safe for me at this time to attend the office.

“I’ve been unable to attend the office since Anthony’s passing. As a result, we are faced with a situation where proper governance or support is impacted,” he said.

“I informed the board that I have come to the conclusion that circumstances are now such that I can no longer fulfil my role as chair and trustee,” he said.

He said he had taken the decision to step down from the voluntary role on the board with a “heavy heart”.

Barrister Remy Farrell SC had been appointed to conduct a review and evaluate the issues related to the recent serious matters at the charity.

The ICHH group was founded in 2013 and focuses on outreach programmes working with homeless people in Dublin’s inner city.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy