| 8.3°C Dublin

'torture case' Teenager charged with the murder of Carlow native Cian English in Australia shows 'no concern' - court hears

Close

Cian English died on May 23, 2020, when falling four storeys while trying to flee an alleged armed robbery.

Cian English died on May 23, 2020, when falling four storeys while trying to flee an alleged armed robbery.

Cian English died on May 23, 2020, when falling four storeys while trying to flee an alleged armed robbery.

A teenager, one of five charged with the murder of Carlow native Cian English in Australia last year, showed “no concern” for the victim after he died following a fall from a fourth-storey apartment balcony, a court has heard. 

Lachlan Paul Soper-Lagas (18) has also been charged with armed robbery in company, deprivation of liberty, torture, stealing and entering dwelling with intent.

Details of what police will allege was “serious and protracted torture” by the accused were revealed at the Supreme Court on Thursday.

Mr English, who was originally from Bullock Park, on the edge of Carlow Town, had been living with his parents Siobhan and Vinny and older brother Dylan in the eastern Brisbane suburb of Hawthorne.

The family left Ireland 16 years ago, first to the Caribbean where Cian’s father worked for Digicel and then settled in Brisbane in 2011.

Mr English suffered traumatic injuries when he fell from a fourth floor balcony at the View Pacific resort in Surfers Paradise at around 3.15am on Saturday, May 23 last year during an alleged robbery.

Four other accused Jason Ryan Knowles, 22, Hayden Paul Kratzmann, 20, along with two girls, who are minors re-appeared before Southport Magistrates Court and Children’s Court on Tuesday and were remanded in custody.

It is alleged Soper-Lagas threatened Mr English at knifepoint while two teenage girls in the apartment filmed the incident.

The teenage rapper’s grandparents offered their home as a six figure surety so he could be released on bail.

However, Crown prosecutor Danny Boyle opposed bail, saying there was a strong case against the accused.

He told the court video evidence captured the teenager threatening Mr English and he showed “no concern” for his welfare after the fall.

“He (Soper-Lagas) failed to call emergency services or to go down and check the welfare of the deceased,” Mr Boyle said.

“He then goes on to steal property. He is then concerned about concealing his identity as he leaves the unit and takes the other defendants with him … they go on to commit a further offence in order to obtain drugs.

“It can be looked at as being quite serious and protracted torture of the victims and making demands of them for their property.”

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

The court was told Mr Soper-Lagas had been involved with drugs from a young age.

Justice Rafter granted bail, noting he had no criminal history and ordered him to undergo drug testing and rehabilitation.

Some of the bail conditions include reporting to police daily and wearing a GPS tracker.

The five accused are to re-appear before Southport Magistrates Court on March 23rd.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy