| 4.5°C Dublin

Taoiseach does not see ‘barriers’ to publication of mother and baby homes report

The final report of the Commission of Investigation into Mother and Baby Homes was due to be submitted to the Government on Friday.

Close

Taoiseach Micheal Martin said the report would be published as soon as possible (Julien Behal/PA Wire)

Taoiseach Micheal Martin said the report would be published as soon as possible (Julien Behal/PA Wire)

Taoiseach Micheal Martin said the report would be published as soon as possible (Julien Behal/PA Wire)

The Government does not anticipate any “obstacles or barriers” to the publication of the final report of the Mother and Baby Homes Commission, the Taoiseach has said.

Micheal Martin also said he was not ruling out a state apology to the survivors of the institutions.

The Commission of Investigation into Mother and Baby Homes was due to submit its final report to Children’s Minister Roderic O’Gorman on Friday afternoon after five years of work.

The report, which stretches to 4,000 pages, will be published after it is reviewed by the Attorney General.

Close

Memorial to 222 children from the Bethany Mother and Child Home: one of the 14 institutions being investigated (Brian Lawless/PA)

Memorial to 222 children from the Bethany Mother and Child Home: one of the 14 institutions being investigated (Brian Lawless/PA)

PA

Memorial to 222 children from the Bethany Mother and Child Home: one of the 14 institutions being investigated (Brian Lawless/PA)

The Taoiseach said he intends to publish the document, which includes testimonies of women who lived and worked in the mother and baby homes between the 1920s and 1990s, “as soon as possible”.

The move came after a massive public outcry from survivors, campaigners, opposition parties and the general public this week over the Government passing controversial legislation that would allow a database created by the Mother and Baby Homes Commission to be sent to child and family agency Tusla.

The Government is said to have been taken aback by the strength of feeling on the issue and, at a lengthy Cabinet meeting on Wednesday, it decided to address the concerns.

Mr Martin said: “It is our intention to publish this because the whole purpose of establishing the commission was to tell as comprehensive a story as possible of what I regard is a very shameful and dark period in our society and country’s history.

“My understanding is that it’s over 4,000 pages long and that suggests a very comprehensive review by the commission. That story deserves to be told and needs to be told and shared with the people of Ireland. That’s my objective.

“I anticipate that we will publish this as soon as possible.”

He made the comments on Friday after holding a meeting with community volunteer groups and local authority staff at Dublin City Council offices where he acknowledged the vital work they are undertaking in the midst of the pandemic.

Asked whether there would be a state apology to the survivors of the mother and baby homes, Mr Martin said he was “ruling nothing out”.

The Cork South-Central TD said the Government would be making a “very comprehensive response” in time and that he did not want to “pre-empt” the report.

“We certainly won’t be found wanting in terms of a comprehensive response,” the Taoiseach said.

Mr Martin also said he had a “constructive meeting” on Friday morning with mother and baby homes representative groups about policy matters and the legislation that is needed to give statutory access to the records of those affected.

Close

Former workers and residents at mother and baby homes had previously protested against the documents being sealed (James Ward/PA)

Former workers and residents at mother and baby homes had previously protested against the documents being sealed (James Ward/PA)

PA

Former workers and residents at mother and baby homes had previously protested against the documents being sealed (James Ward/PA)

The Taoiseach said they also discussed the Government’s plans to create an archival centre to house documents relating to mother and baby homes, the Magdalene Laundries and industrial schools.

He committed to making such a centre “a reality” to ensure future generations understand what the “survivors and those who went through these institutions went through”.

Children’s Minister Roderic O’Gorman confirmed he had received the final report on Friday afternoon, and said he would endeavour to publish it “as soon as possible.”

He said: “I want to firstly acknowledge the participation of those who shared their personal experiences with the Commission.

“In particular, I would like to pay special tribute to the survivors of these institutions, and their families, for the courage and determination they have shown in coming forward and recounting their experiences of Mother and Baby Homes to the Commission.

“The report received today is amongst the longest reports yet produced by an inquiry of this nature.

“The work of the Commission will no doubt shed an important light into a dark and difficult chapter of very recent Irish history – a history that is living memory for so many of our citizens today.”

“I understand the expectations for early publication of this report and I want to emphasise that I will seek Government approval to publish the report as soon as possible.”

Measures announced on Wednesday included ensuring survivors could access their records – one of the key concerns about the Bill.

The Government had previously argued that, under the Commission of Investigation Act 2004, the records must be sealed for 30 years.

The Data Protection Commissioner had disputed this, saying there could not be a “blanket” ban on access to records. It said this permission should instead be determined by the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

On Thursday, the Taoiseach said the Government had “no agenda to bury anything” related to the mother and baby homes.

Instead Mr Martin said he wants “openness, transparency and honesty” and to “shed a light” on the abuse.

The Fianna Fail leader said “genuine motivation” had been behind the Government passing legislation relating to the mother and baby homes inquiry.

He stressed: “There wasn’t an attempt to close anything down or shut anything down.

“That was not the motivation behind the legislation, yet there was a whole social media campaign alleging that.

“That was not correct.”

Mr Martin insisted the records would have been destroyed if the legislation had not been passed before the end of October.

The commission was set up to gather information from anyone who was resident in or who worked in 14 mother and baby homes and four county homes across the country.

It was also tasked with investigating and reporting on the burial arrangements of children and mothers who died while living at the institutions.

Online Editors


Privacy