| -1.4°C Dublin

Bin the blade 'Stabbings are the new shootings and it’s just not good enough' - politician calls for knife amnesty

In recent weeks there have been at least six serious knife attacks in the city which have resulted in two fatalities.

Close

Uransetseg Tserendorj

Uransetseg Tserendorj

Uransetseg Tserendorj

The chair of Dublin’s joint committee on policing has called for a knife amnesty at garda stations to deal with a spate of violent stabbings in the capital.

In recent weeks there have been at least six serious knife attacks in the city which have resulted in two fatalities.

Mother-of-two Urantsetseg Tserendorj (48) was stabbed while walking home from work in the inner-city on January 20 and passed away on Wednesday.

A 15-year-old has been charged in relation to the incident.

Last week a 16-year-old schoolboy was killed during as tabbing in East Wall and a man has been charged with murder as part of that investigation.

Fianna Fail councillor Daithi de Roiste, chair of Dublin city’s Joint Policing Committee (JPC), said that a knife amnesty in garda stations may prevent future serious crimes.

“We need a campaign to bin the blade or something that will educate young people about the serious harm carrying a knife can cause.

“As part of this a knife amnesty should be incorporated whereby a person can drop such a weapon into their local garda station with no questions asked.

“There should be a campaign involving guards, politicians and local community workers.

“Stabbings are the new shootings and it’s just not good enough,” Mr de Roiste told the Sunday World.

Close

Councillor Daithí de Róiste

Councillor Daithí de Róiste

Councillor Daithí de Róiste

Yesterday senior politicians, including Taoiseach Micheál Martin, Justice Minister Helen McEntee, and Finance Minister Paschal Donohoe, a local TD, met with members of the North Inner City Community Coalition to discuss recent violent incidents in the area.

The Taoiseach said after the meeting: “I extend my deepest sympathies to all those impacted by the shocking incidents which have taken place in Dublin in recent weeks. This sort of behaviour cannot continue, and I know that the Minister for Justice and Garda Commissioner have been meeting this week to discuss a plan to tackle these recent incidents.”

Minister for Justice Helen McEntee said that people in the area should not be afraid to leave their homes because of a small minority determined to cause harm.

“My Department and An Garda Síochána will continue our outreach programmes, engagement and interventions but we will formulate new ways of targeting young people when they cannot participate in their normal activities and programmes,”Ms McEntee added.


Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Online Editors


Top Videos





Privacy