| 3.9°C Dublin

up in flames Shock footage shows major blaze break out at building in Wexford as residents evacuate

The fire broke out at a property on South Main Street at around 9am on Sunday morning.

This dramatic footage shows the scene of a major blaze in Wexford over the weekend that forced people to evacuate nearby premises.

The fire that broke out at a property on South Main Street at around 9am on Sunday morning was later put out by five units of the fire brigade.

A number of homeless people were also relocated from emergency accommodation following the fire.

The fire just off the Main Street in Wexford Town affected the Sky and the Ground pub and the Foggy Dew bar while part of a warehouse building collapsed.

In a Facebook post the Foggy Dew Inn's owner and staff thanked the emergency services for their fast response.

“Today's events have been hard for everyone, but The Foggy Dew Inn's owner and staff would like to wholeheartedly thank the emergency services for their fast response and the incredible fight today,” they wrote.

“We are overwhelmed by the number of kind words and support we're getting from our neighbors and the Wexford Town community as a whole. The most important of course is that no person has been injured and everyone is now safe.”

The Sky & the Ground added: “Just a quick message to say that we are all safe and well and to thank you for your outpouring of support and concern, we are overwhelmed by your kindness.

There are too many individuals to thank at this time, but for now a particular thank you to the fire and emergency services and our incredible neighbours around South Main Street.

Our thoughts are with the owners and staff of the Foggy Dew this evening, a devastating day for all involved.”

Des O’Neill, the owner of Hayes Cycles on Main Street, a couple of premises down from the Foggy Dew said the fire was discovered at 9am that morning and continued on into the evening.

“When I saw the smoke I knocked on the doors so people could get out,” he said. “I rang the fire brigade, 999, and they were down in about 12 minutes. But the thing is, the wind fanned the flames so badly it went up just like that.

“It really took off. The wind made it spread that much quicker.

“There were people in the Foggy Dew but they all got out, as far as I know and I didn't hear of any injuries.”

Des added that as a bicycle shop providing essential services he was back open today although he had been closed on Monday for a couple hours while investigations were carried out.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Online Editors