tragic loss Pensioner (70s) dies after fire at his home in Cork
Neighbours raised alarm of blaze early this morning
A PENSIONER has died following a fire at his Cork home.
The man, who was aged in his 70s, died following the blaze at the property at Connolly Park in Ballyphehane shortly after 8am this morning.
Neighbours raised the alarm when they spotted smoke billowing from the property.
Two units of Cork City Fire Brigade responded to the alert and quickly brought the blaze under control.
Officers with breathing apparatus located a man inside the property and he was given emergency treatment at the scene by paramedics.
The man, a pensioner in his 70s, was rushed to Cork University Hospital (CUH) where he was later pronounced dead a short time later.
The area was sealed off for a technical examination by forensic experts.
However, the fire is being treated as accidental and initial indications are that it may have started in the kitchen area.
It is believed the pensioner was overcome by smoke.
Garda sources said that while their investigation is ongoing, the fire is not being treated as suspicious.
A file on the matter will now be prepared for a Cork Coroner's inquest to be staged next year.
The deceased had lived in the Ballyphehane area throughout his life. His name will not be released until all relatives have been notified.
Locals expressed shock at the tragedy.
- High Court to assess damages after couple wrongly advised to terminate pregnancy
- Family of mum of 7 Barbara Walsh missing for 36 years in plea to help 'bring her home'
- Man (55) arrested after ammunition found in North Belfast office linked to Housing Executive
- Vodka bottle and knuckleduster taken from teen arrested for handling stolen property
- Roscommon GAA club asks players not to attend training if they are showing Covid-19 symptoms
- Rangers fan says he wasn't 'urinating on loved ones' after taking a leak in cemetery
- Shamrock Rovers pondering contract offer for former Ireland striker Anthony Stokes
- Off-colour Bruno Fernandes is running on empty for Portugal after gruelling 83-match streak
- FAI to call on government for investment in League of Ireland academies
- Football rumours: Chelsea banking on Gerard Moreno move this summer