| 7°C Dublin

fatal shooting Nigerian government agency calls for 'fair investigation' into George Nkencho's death


George Nikencho

George Nikencho

George Nikencho

A Nigerian government agency has called for a "full, thorough and fair investigation" into the fatal shooting of George Nkencho.

The Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) issued a statement yesterday calling on its citizens in Ireland to “exercise patience” and await the outcome of a probe into the shooting.

The Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission (GSOC) is currently investigating the incident where the 27-year-old was shot several times by gardaí in Manorfields Drive in Clonee, Co Dublin.

In a statement, NIDCOM, a Nigerian government agency, “condemned in strong terms the killing of Mr George Nkencho, a 27-year-old Nigerian in Ireland”.

NIDCOM was established by the Nigerian Government in 2019 to assist their citizens living abroad.

According to their website, the organisation act 'to mediate relations with Nigerians in the diaspora' and the Nigerian government.

In the statement, a spokesman for NIDCOM chariman Abike Dabiri-Erewa said she was calling for a "full, thorough and fair investigation into the matter”.

“She appealed to the obviously enraged Nigerian community in Ireland to exercise patience and await the outcome of investigation into the unfortunate incident,” the statement reads.

“The NIDCOM boss condoled with the family of Nkencho and the Nigerian community in Ireland over the killing of George and prayed God to give the family and friends the fortitude to bear the irreplaceable loss.

“Already, the African Advocacy Network Ireland (AANI) has expressed shock to learn about the shooting dead of George Nkencho on Wednesday, December 30.

“The group said the circumstances surrounding the killing of a mentally challenged young man has enraged the African community and demanded a full independent public inquiry.”

The Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission has issued an appeal for help from potential witnesses to the fatal shooting.

GSOC said the "incident involved the discharge of an official firearm in Clonee" after Gardaí had been called following reports of a man armed with a knife at a Eurospar shop in Hartstown.

George Nkencho had reportedly threatened staff at the shop at around 12.15pm.

Mr Nkencho then fled from the shop, threatening uniformed gardaí with a knife as he made his way home a short distance away at Manorfields Drive.

Mr Nkencho's family have said he “suffered from mental health issues” in recent years.

Around a dozen gardaí were present at the scene, including members of the Armed Support Unit, and gardaí say they were also threatened with a knife.

They implemented what gardaí call a graduated policing response.

This is where the use of less-than-lethal force options are initially administered in an effort to resolve an incident.

Gardaí say the less-than-lethal use of force options were unsuccessful, and a number of shots were fired from an official garda firearm at around 12.35pm.

Senior sources said the decision to fire shots was because the gardaí believed there was an "imminent threat to life".

"He had been pepper sprayed and tasered but when this did not work the use of lethal force became necessary. There were concerns that he could kill someone," a source said.

Gardaí are "very conscious" of the "major tension" in the community and have put in place a policing plan.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Online Editors