More than 1,000 Irish children poisoned after accidently taking paracetamol last year
There were also 98 calls about dishwasher tablets in 2022, 69 about washing up liquid, 56 about firelighters, and 142 about hand cleansers
More than 1,000 children were poisoned after accidently taking paracetamol, shocking new figures reveal.
The new figures, released under the Freedom of Information Act, revealed how there were almost 1,300 calls to a helpline last year after children took various substances.
The main agent was paracetamol, with 1,288 calls.
That was followed by the medication ibuprofen, which is in nurofen tablets - with 625 calls.
In many cases, children accidentally consumed household products.
“We would all think that we have things protected at home but to a small child, a green, white and red liquid tab for the washing machine can look very like something they would enjoy as a sweet,” GP Ciarán Ó Fearraigh told Newstalk.
There were also 98 calls about dishwasher tablets in 2022, 69 about washing up liquid, 56 about firelighters, and 142 about hand cleansers.
The National Poisons Information Centre has helplines for healthcare professionals and members of the public.
SICK EXCUSE | ‘Impotent’ taxi driver who raped woman after picking her up outside club is jailed
NOT GHOSTED | Vogue Williams says her podcast lets people see what she is like ‘instead of judging’
TEnts stand-off | Garda assaulted and man arrested at asylum seeker protest in Westmeath
BROTHER CHARGED | Man accused of sister’s murder and attempting to kill niece in Portadown house fire
BELOVED DAD | Sligo man shot dead in Australia had a big heart for everybody, funeral mass hears
RIP | Woman (70s) dies in road crash in Ferbane, Co Offaly
'FELT HORRIFIC' | Non-binary Applegreen worker asked if they were going to ‘get a d*ck’, hearing told
HORROR KILLING | Man convicted of Limerick priest’s murder 40 years ago suffered ‘heinous’ injustice
overcrowding crisis | Protesters march on University Hospital Limerick as they demand local A&Es be reopened
'HEARTBREAKING' | Wexford girl granted home palliative care after desperate plea from family