RIP | 

Meath man (38) dies from brain cancer just eight months after diagnosis

Shane McGeough (38) died yesterday at his home in Grangegodden, Kells after battling brain cancer.

Shane McGeough (38) died after battling a long illness

Neasa Cumiskey

A terminally ill Irish man who had been living in Australia will be laid to rest in his native Co Meath this week.

Shane McGeough (38) died yesterday at his home in Grangegodden, Kells after battling brain cancer.

He is survived by his wife Michelle, young daughter Harlow, parents Cathriona and Kevin, siblings, parents-in-law Mary and Noel, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, cousins, and his “very large circle of wonderful friends in Ireland and Australia who supported Shane and his family during his illness.”

Shane will repose at his home in Templesprings, Grangegodden on Wednesday, 1st June, from 4pm to 8pm.

His funeral service will take place at St Colmcille's Church at 11am on Thursday, followed by a burial in St Colmcille’s cemetery.

A notice on reads: “Shane will be fondly remembered as a person of great gentleness, integrity and courage who accepted his illness with bravery and gratitude to his family, friends and medical team who cared for him during his illness.

“He was a gifted sportsperson on the playing field, an electrician by profession and was a member of the Police Force in Australia. He was loved and respected far and wide for the person he was and will be greatly missed by his loving family and wonderful friends.”

Shane made headlines back in September after learning that he had between 15 months and three years left to live while he was still living in Adelaide, Australia.

He fought hard to successfully help his mum Cathy get a travel exemption so she could fly to Oz to be with him.

The family also appealed to Australia’s Department of Home Affairs to allow Shane’s mother-in-law Mary to be granted the same exception.

Speaking to the Sunday World at the time, the Meath man revealed how he was told the dreadful diagnosis.

“A few weeks ago I felt as though I had a mouth ulcer and I noticed that I was struggling to pronounce some words and thought it might have been a possible flare up of my asthma, which I’ve not had a problem with for a very long time.

“Upon seeing the doctor I was referred for a CT brain scan, where they found a lesion, I went for an MRI the following day and that’s when I found out the news that I needed to see a neurosurgeon for a biopsy on the tumour resulting in my diagnosis.

“Michelle was there from the beginning, and we went through it all together. It isn’t the easiest of news to tell anyone and was made harder to do through FaceTime.

“I don’t normally struggle for words but that day I did and I think I eventually just blurted it out, it was the hardest thing I have ever had to tell anyone.”

Today's Headlines

More Irish News

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

WatchMore Videos