Laid to rest  | 

Man who brought dead uncle to collect pension carries coffin at funeral

At his funeral this morning, Mr Doyle's family paid tribute to the late painter

Mr Doyle's remains are carried from church after funeral mass by family members including nephew Declan Haughney this morning. Picture Colin Keegan, Collins Dublin

Neasa Cumiskey and Patrick O'Connell

A man who claims he didn't know his uncle was dead when he brought him to a post office to collect his pension, was among the chief mourners at his funeral today.

Peader Doyle (66) was laid to rest this morning after passing away “suddenly” last Friday.

His funeral mass took place at 11am on Monday in Church of the Holy Family, Askea with a burial afterwards in St. Mary’s Cemetery.

Declan Haughney, Mr Doyle's nephew who is at the centre of controversy after he brought his uncle's body into a post office on Staplestown Road with friend Gareth Coakley, was a pallbearer at the funeral.

Speaking to the Sunday World on Saturday, both men claimed that Mr Doyle was still alive when they brought him on the short walk to the local post office last Friday.

At his funeral this morning, Mr Doyle's family paid tribute to the late painter.

A relative wrote: “Peader, thank you for being the best uncle anyone could ever have. Rest in peace, till we meet again."

A message on flowers pictured at the funeral of Peader Doyle at the Church of the Holy Family, Askea, Co. Carlow this morning .Picture Colin Keegan, Collins Dublin

A funeral notice for Mr Doyle read: "Sadly missed by his heartbroken sister Noeleen, brothers-in-law Liam Dowling and Christopher Haughney, nephews, nieces, grand-nephews, grand-nieces, relatives and friends."

Peader had been brought into Hosey's shop in Carlow at 11am on Friday, propped up by his nephew Declan and Gareth, to collect his pension.

A post-mortem examination carried out last week ruled out any foul play and established that Mr Doyle died within three hours before the bizarre incident.

Gareth said Peader became "heavier and heavier" and "I couldn't hold him anymore".

Gareth told us: "The papers are saying he was already dead but that's bullsh*t.

The remains are carried into church by family members and Declan Haughney, centre

"He was alive - 100 per cent. "We're hardly going to drag a dead man down the road, for f**k sake."

As our reporter was speaking with Gareth, Declan Haughney approached bleeding freely from a number of facial wounds and gashes.

When we put what Gareth had told us to Declan Haughney, he told us: "He was … yeah. I'm after being beat up over this."

Declan Haughney

Friends of Peader's told the Sunday World that Peader and his brother Lawrence, who were both talented painters by trade, had lived at number 199 Pollerton Road for decades. Peader also helped rear his nephew Declan at that address.

Peader suffered from heart-related medical difficulties and Lawrence helped care for him. But tragedy befell the brothers when Lawrence was diagnosed with cancer.

Lawrence subsequently died on October 4, 2020 at St. Luke's Hospital.

A neighbour of Peader's described him as a quiet and gentle old man

"It's so sad what's after happening. Him and Lawrence were just lovely."

There have been no arrests so far in the case. Both Gareth Coakley and Declan Haughney were interviewed by gardaí and have given statements.

Today's Headlines

More Irish News

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

WatchMore Videos