| 13.8°C Dublin

Grope Terror Man sexually assaulted teen boy who fell asleep on the back seat of bus

Close

Honorio Medina Barboza was found after a Crimecall episode

Honorio Medina Barboza was found after a Crimecall episode

Honorio Medina Barboza was found after a Crimecall episode

A DUBLIN bus passenger sat down beside a teenage boy and sexually assaulted him by groping him as he slept on the back seat.

Honorio Medina Barboza (49) told the 15-year-old victim to “calm down” when he woke up and confronted him, a court heard.

Barboza got off the bus and was only identified when CCTV footage was broadcast on RTÉ’s Crimecall in a garda appeal months later.

Judge Bryan Smyth

adjourned the case at Dublin District Court for a victim

impact statement.

Barboza, with an address at St Edmund’s Park, Lucan pleaded guilty to sexual assault.

Detective Garda PJ Gallagher said the boy was travelling on a bus from west Dublin into the city centre when the accused boarded the same bus a number of stops later.

He sat beside the victim, who was asleep at the back of the bus.

The bus was on the quays at 11.13am when Barboza placed his left hand on the victim’s genital area, outside his clothing, and stroked him a number of times, Det Gda Gallagher

said.

The boy challenged the accused and told him to “feck off”, the court heard.

Barboza stated to the victim: “There’s no need to scream, calm down.”

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

He then got up and when the doors opened, he got off the

bus.

In the course of the investigation, CCTV footage was gathered from Dublin Bus and on December 16, 2019, certain aspects of the footage were broadcast on RTÉ TV programme Crimecall.

On December 17, the accused was identified as a result of the programme.

Gardaí searched Barboza’s home under warrant and the exact clothing he had been seen wearing on the CCTV was found at his address.

The DPP had directed

summary disposal of the case in the district court and Judge Smyth accepted jurisdiction after hearing the evidence to be presented.

Compensation

Judge Smyth said he would need to see a victim impact statement and Det Gda Gallagher said the boy had not yet been canvassed about this.

Defence solicitor Lorraine Stephens said the garda might also canvas the issue of

compensation.

Judge Smyth said it was a “concerning set of facts”.

He said he would certify for a psychological report and adjourned the case to a date in January.

Barboza was remanded on continuing bail.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy