| 10.6°C Dublin

not distracted Leo Varadkar says he is ‘not worried’ about garda probe into contract leak

'I know what the outcome is going to be,' the Tanaiste has stated

Close

Leo Varadkar says he's not worried about the outcome of garda investigation (PA)

Leo Varadkar says he's not worried about the outcome of garda investigation (PA)

Leo Varadkar says he's not worried about the outcome of garda investigation (PA)

Tánaiste Leo Varadkar has said he already knows what the outcome is going to be of the Garda investigation into his leaking of details of a proposed GP contract to a friend.

Mr Varadkar said he is not worried about the outcome of the investigation.

“I’m not worried about the outcome, I obviously would like it to be resolved by now, but I’m certainly not worried about the outcome,” he told The Tonight Show on Virgin Media.

Mr Varadkar faced a motion of no confidence in the Dáil when details of the leak first emerged.

He was also forced to issue an apology for the controversy which has rumbled on for more than a year.

“Because I set out in the Dáil my full account of what happened, and we had a vote of confidence in the Dáil, and I won that vote of confidence and there’s nothing new,” he said.

“There’s no other information, if anything else happened I’m not aware of it so I know what the outcome is going to be.”

Mr Varadkar insisted the investigation has not been a “distraction” from his work as Tánaiste and Enterprise Minister.

“It’s not distracting me in any way. It may well distract other people but I’ve a very busy job.

"I’ve four jobs essentially, any of which could be a full-time job. TD for Dublin West, leader of my party, deputy head of government and Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment,” he said.

Close

Leo Varadkar

Leo Varadkar

Leo Varadkar

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

“My focus is on that 100pc and if you take my role as Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment I have set out three big targets to get 2.5 million people at work in Ireland by 2024, to help businesses get through Brexit and Covid and also to improve worker’s pay, terms and conditions.”

The Sunday Independent reported Mr Varadkar’s solicitors contacted gardaí three or four times seeking updates on the long running investigation.

The Tánaiste was interviewed by gardaí last April and has not been spoken to since. However, his solicitors made contact with officers throughout this period.

The garda investigation has yet to be completed.

“I heard that it was happening through the media around this time last year, had an interview back in April, cooperated fully, answered all the questions," he said.

“I’m available for any further queries, any evidence anyone wants to put to me I’m happy to respond to but that hasn’t happened yet so really nothing has happened from my point of view since last April and I’m just getting on with the job in the meantime.”

The National Bureau of Criminal Investigation (NCBI) has been leading the investigation into Mr Varadkar leaking details of a €200m GP contract to his friend Dr Maitiú Ó Tuathail who was president of the now disbanded National Association of General Practitioners.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy