| 9.8°C Dublin

Nothing Con you Lawyer says prosecutor ‘had no evidence’ and McGregor got no special treatment as sex assault case dropped

Corsica claim: Prosecutor 'had no evidence'

Close

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor

Dustin Poirier and Conor McGregor face off.

Dustin Poirier and Conor McGregor face off.

Conor McGregor in training

Conor McGregor in training

/

Conor McGregor

Exclusive

Conor McGregor's lawyer has said the decision to drop the sexual ­assault case against the UFC star was "perfectly justified" and that he got "no preferential treatment" because of his celebrity status.

Charges of attempted sexual assault and indecent exposure against the Crumlin man were struck out in Corsica this week.

The Sunday World can reveal that French prosecutors dropped their investigation without any further contact with McGregor, since his police interview in September.

A lawyer who acted for the Irish star in ­Corsica told us this week that prosecutors closed the case after failing to find evidence to back up the claim.

"In fact, this case was closed without ­follow-up by the Bastia prosecutor's office," said Emmanuelle Ramond. She said the police investigation did not uncover any evidence and there is no other pending legal action involving McGregor in Corsica.

She said: "Numerous investigations were carried out and scientific expert opinions were ordered, which failed to corroborate the complainant's statements."

McGregor's US-based spokeswoman Karen Kessler said: "They did a criminal investigation. They collected DNA and the DNA evidence confirmed McGregor's account.

Close

Dustin Poirier and Conor McGregor face off.

Dustin Poirier and Conor McGregor face off.

Dustin Poirier and Conor McGregor face off.

"The case is over and Conor is focused on his upcoming fight in July and the birth of his child."

McGregor was officially informed of the decision and the reasons for dropping the case in a letter from the prosecutor in Bastia this week, which was sent to his house at the K Club in Straffan, Co. Kildare.

Threatened

Prosecutor Arnaud Viornery told a French news agency: "We had no material evidence to corroborate the complainant's statements, including after the scientific expert input that had been ordered."

McGregor, who is currently in Dubai with his wife Dee Devlin and family, has not made a direct comment on the decision.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Shortly after the allegations emerged he posted that the claims were "bulls**t" and vowed to never pay off "anyone coming at me with vicious lies".

The multi-millionaire sports star had been due to take part in a water-cycle relay race from Calvi to Monaco, alongside Princess Charlene of Monaco, in a bid to raise water safety awareness in September last year.

McGregor was interviewed by police after a woman claimed he had "attempted sexual assault and sexual exhibition."

He strenuously denied the accusation from the start and was released without being formally arrested or charged with a crime.

This week L'Amphi bar in Calvi, where the assault was claimed to have taken place, appeared to be closed but staff previously told reporters they were unaware of the incident.

Meanwhile, McGregor has been locked in a war of words with rival fighter Dustin Poirier, over claims he reneged on a promise to donate to the American's charitable foundation.

Close

Conor McGregor in training

Conor McGregor in training

Conor McGregor in training

This week McGregor said the $500,000 wasn't paid because the charity didn't show him a plan on how the money would be spent.

Before they fought in January, he pledged to pay the money to The Good Fight Foundation.

But since Poirier accused him of not following through, McGregor threatened to cancel their bout.

He posted: "You're ripped you inbred hillbilly. Why do you wink with your ears? You f***ing brain dead hillbilly. 500k with no plan in place.

"Ye hang tight. Fool. You must be new to money. The fight is off btw. I'm going to fight someone else on the 10th. Good luck on your old contract kid."

On Thursday, however, UFC boss Dana White said the two will face off in front of a full-capacity crowd on July 10. Tickets were due to go on sale this week.

In response to a query as to whether the two-week mandatory quarantining for ­travellers from Dubai would affect McGregor's travel plans, Ms Kessler told the Sunday World his travel plans "are private".

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Privacy