| 11.2°C Dublin

'no control' ‘I’ve no control over how presenters react to tough decisions,’ – 2FM boss after Louise McSharry’s departure

Close

Louise McSharry was aggrieved she was not permitted to present her final two shows and say goodbye to her listeners. Photo: Frank McGrath

Louise McSharry was aggrieved she was not permitted to present her final two shows and say goodbye to her listeners. Photo: Frank McGrath

Louise McSharry was aggrieved she was not permitted to present her final two shows and say goodbye to her listeners. Photo: Frank McGrath

The head of 2FM has said he has “no control” over how its presenters react to certain tough decisions.

It comes in the wake of Louise McSharry’s departure from the music station.

Station boss Dan Healy has spoken out after Ms McSharry said in a recent interview she “felt like a piece of trash that had been used up and was being thrown away”.

She was particularly unhappy she was not permitted to present her final two shows and say goodbye to her listeners after announcing she was moving on from 2FM last October after 11 years.

Mr Healy said in most cases RTÉ gave people nine to 12 months’ notice that their show is changing, and it was “really difficult”.

“When we sit down with people like Louise or Keith Walsh, these are very tough decisions,” he said.

“In November, I was speaking to four or five people in one week to say, ‘There’s going to be a change here.’

“And then something happened to me beyond my control, in terms of communication, and there’s nothing I can do about that and it’s out.

“So from that point of view, that will happen. Louise is very talented. I worked with Louise at Newstalk when she was younger; she came to iRadio with me and she was really good there. She's had numerous roles here in 2FM. She‘s a great broadcaster and I can only speak highly of her. I didn't read the article.”

He said his focus was now on ensuring his bosses such as RTÉ director general Dee Forbes knew he was working hard and that “the decisions we take are honest decisions with regards to talent”.

“How the talent will react to these decisions, I’ve no control over. But I know it’s got to be tough,” Mr Healy said.

Asked if it was typical to not allow presenters to front their exit shows, he said it has “never happened before”.

It comes as the head of RTÉ Radio 1, Peter Woods, said you can “never say never” about the possibility of Seán O’Rourke returning to the airwaves.

O’Rourke has said he is hopeful of working with RTÉ again after the Golfgate trial ended without any convictions.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Mr Woods said: “I know the value of Seán as a broadcaster, but we also have to look at what we have and what we have is performing very well too. You never say never. But it's not about what I would like, it’s about what’s best for the radio station."

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy