Cold as ice Ireland weather: Met Eireann warn of 'very cold' night with 'sharp frost' and -4C lows
It's time to pull out your hot water bottles as Met Eireann are warning of a "very cold" night ahead with temperatures plunging to as low as -4C.
The national forecaster revealed the country will experience a "sharp frost" after a rather cold day.
Saturday will see temperatures struggle to get to 5C "at best" after a frosty start in parts.
A forecaster said: "Some frost and icy stretches on untreated surfaces lingering for a time today.
"Scattered showers, some possibly wintry with sleet, sinking southwards across the country today in a light to moderate northerly breeze."
It will be coldest inland tonight with the mercury falling to as low as -4 degrees
while temperatures will hover around freezing point at the coasts.
Heading into Sunday, it will continue to be "bitterly cold", although it will stay dry in many areas.
Met Eireann said: "Frost and ice on untreated surfaces will be slow to clear tomorrow morning, Sunday. It will be dry in many areas with good sunshine, with scattered showers near coasts.
"Some showers may be wintry, and will drift further inland in Leinster during the evening. Bitterly cold throughout the day with highest temperatures of just two to four degrees generally, with a light to moderate northeast breeze."
It'll be another cold night on Sunday, with temperatures between -3 degrees and plus one.
Eastern coastal counties will see rain, sleet and snow showers, which will drift further inland at times, it will stay largely dry elsewhere with clear spells, some fog may develop in the west.
Meanwhile, Monday looks set to be dry with sunshine for the midlands, west and north on Monday, with frost and ice slow to clear in the morning.
It will be cloudier in the east and south, with showers affecting east Leinster, turning wintry over higher ground.
Once again, it will be very cold with afternoon highs of just two to four degrees generally, a little higher on northern and eastern coasts. Light to moderate northeast winds, will be occasionally fresh and gusty at the east coast.
Download the Sunday World app
- Gardai and prison staff should be prioritised in vaccine roll-out, representative groups claim
- Gardai raid suspected shebeen stocked with beer kegs, taps and bar stools in North Dublin
- Coronavirus Ireland: 23 further deaths and 1,378 new cases confirmed
- Met Eireann extend snow/ice warning and issue low temperature alert as sleet, snow and hail to continue
- Ireland weather: Snow/ice alert in place amid 'icy hazardous conditions' and -5C lows
- Duncan Ferguson eyeing up FA Cup glory with Everton once again
- Tottenham manager Jose Mourinho explains why he is reluctant to pick Gareth Bale
- John Aldridge identifies the player Liverpool should aim to sign next summer
- Five arrested after garda car rammed during pursuit in Co Donegal
- Adele marks tenth anniversary of the release of her hit album '21'