| 9.6°C Dublin

'I-ran away' Iranian Hulk Sajad Gharibi demands new opponent as he brands Martyn Ford a ‘coward’

It comes as the 'World's Scariest Man' cancelled his debut fight

Close

Ford was due to meet the Iranian Hulk later this month

Ford was due to meet the Iranian Hulk later this month

Ford was due to meet the Iranian Hulk later this month

Iranian Hulk, Sajad Gharibi, has demanded a new opponent after his rival Martyn Ford pulled out of their upcoming fight at a Boxstar event in London on April 30th.

In an interview posted to his YouTube channel Gharibi said that he had Covid during his Dubai meeting with Ford and didn’t use it as an excuse.

“On face-to-face day I announced this to the organisation [Boxstar], I never used this as an excuse, I did not run away from anything,” he said.

"I was present with a lung infection and a fever of 40 degrees. It is really embarrassing that the fight is cancelled by a coward,” he continued.

“It does not matter to me, I am still in this race. I also told the organisation to put a fighter in front of me, someone who has a fighting spirit.”

Standing at 6ft 8 inches tall, Ford has been dubbed the ‘World's Scariest Man' and is a well-known actor and has appeared in films such as Fast & Furious 9 and the Kingsman: the Golden Circle.

However, he now plans to move into the professional fighting game and generated huge publicity for his fight with the 'Iranian Hulk'.

Following the cancellation of what was meant to be his debut fight, Ford took to Instagram to announce that Daniel Kinahan would now be his advisor.

Close

The World's Scariest Man, Martyn Ford, with Daniel Kinahan

The World's Scariest Man, Martyn Ford, with Daniel Kinahan

The World's Scariest Man, Martyn Ford, with Daniel Kinahan

The Dubai based gangster was previously named in the Irish high court as the head of the Kinahan cartel.

Kinahan previously worked with Tyson Fury in an advisory role.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Neither Tyson Fury or Martyn Ford are involved in criminality.

“Huge announcement,” the English fighter declared.

“Anyone who knows me, knows how much work I’ve put into training ahead of my debut fight which is now not going ahead.”

“My passion and hunger for the sport grew with every training session and I truly immersed myself in the sport, surrounding myself with top fighters and learning every day so when a chance opportunity came about to meet the most powerful man in the sport, Daniel Kinahan, it was a no-brainer for me.”

The heavily tattooed Ford said Kinahan “saw my hunger, my desire and my want to become better.

"We share a very similar energy, hunger and passion and are both extremely goal driven for reasons far beyond money or fame.”

"A spiritual energy that pushes us on to become more.”

“Anyone who knows boxing, knows just how integral this man is, and his passion for the sport, he works with every promoter in the game and literally every fighter I spoke with told me he was the man I needed to speak to if I wanted to take this seriously.”

He added: “We’ve talked in length and started working on a plan and I’m delighted to share that I have signed an advisory deal with him where he will help shape my path in boxing and guide me in the right direction and I’m truly excited about what’s to come.”

“Together, we mean business.”

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy