| 4°C Dublin

Cold case Homeless man to be sentenced for killing Irishman with marble ashtray in 1983

Anthony Kemp killed Dublin-born Ainscough after they met on a night out in December 1983

Close

Anthony Kemp

Anthony Kemp

Anthony Kemp

A homeless man who admitted bludgeoning an Irishman to death with a marble ashtray more than 37 years ago has pleaded guilty to murder. 

Anthony Kemp (59) brought to an end a cold case spanning nearly 40 years when he walked into a police station to admit to the killing.

Kemp killed Dublin-born Ainscough after they met on a night out in December 1983.

Ainscough then invited Kemp back to his home in Kilburn north-west London in the early hours of the morning.

The Crown Prosecution Service said his body was discovered by police who went to check on him when he did not turn up to work as a head waiter at the Grieveson Grant and Co restaurant in the City.

He had suffered devastating head injuries, including a fractured skull from being hit with a marble ashtray weighing 2.4kg, which was found at the scene.

The original murder investigation into Mr Ainscough’s death was closed in 1985 after no leads were found.

On July 28 last year, Kemp threw stones at the window of Chiswick Police station, west London, before an officer came out to speak to him just after 4am.

Kemp then confessed to the murder, telling the officer: “You know what, I’m homeless, and I’m not going to sleep on the streets.”

Kemp, who was previously an alcoholic and heroin user with a capacity for “extreme violence”, later tried to retract his confession.

But police matched his DNA to that left on a cigarette butt discarded at the scene of the murder.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

At a hearing at the Old Bailey on Friday, Kemp, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to the murder.

Prosecutor Gareth Patterson QC said Kemp had killed the victim in a “wholly disproportionate response” to being touched.

He said: “The prosecution do not dispute the suggestion there may have been an invitation to the flat and then touching of the defendant by Mr Ainscough.

“We do not dispute that - however, obviously, the prosecution case is, all the defendant then had to do was to say no or to walk away.

“So in those circumstances it seems to us it was a wholly disproportionate response. It was an angry response to the touching.”

Angela Moriarty, from the Crown Prosecution Service, said: "This case remained unsolved for more than 35 years before Anthony Kemp turned up at a police station to confess to a murder.

"He later retracted the confession and went on to blame another man, who had been dead for some years, before finally admitting the murder."

Kemp, who appeared via video, will be sentenced on 13 October and faces a mandatory life sentence.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy