Crackdown | 

Gardai seize another batch of illegal fireworks in run up to Halloween

This latest seizure follows a number of other operations that have been carried out recently

The fireworks that were seized in Co Clare

Neil Fetherstonhaugh

Gardaí in Killaloe seized the illegal fireworks, worth €200, at an address in Killaloe, Co Clare on Tuesday.

They said investigations are ongoing

"The sale, possession or use of fireworks in this country is illegal," gardai added in a Facebook post regarding this seizure.

"It is also illegal to possess any fireworks that may have been legally purchased outside of the jurisdiction and then brought into the State."

They warned that they will confiscate any fireworks found in the possession of those who are also liable to prosecution. "Apart from the risk of injury, fireworks can cause great distress and annoyance to elderly residents. They can also cause great distress to family pets and animals," gardai added. Anyone with any information relating to the illegal use or sale of fireworks is asked to contact their local Garda Station or the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111.

This latest seizure follows a number of other operations that have been carried out in the run up to Halloween.

There have also been a series of recent incidents involving fireworks including that of a woman who was struck by a firework in Galway city centre at a bus stop beside the taxi rank in Eyre Square

She had been sitting at the bus stop when someone fired a firework across hitting her directly in the face causing “serious physical injuries” and “emotional repercussions.”

A GoFundMe page was set up on Monday to raise money to cover the victim’s medical expenses.

In Co Down, one person was hospitalised after a firework attack set a house ablaze.

Police received a report a window at a property in the Clanrye Avenue area had been broken before fireworks were thrown inside.

The fireworks subsequently caused a fire which was extinguished by the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service when they arrived on the scene.

One person was taken to hospital for treatment after the attack and the fire caused extensive damage.

And just this week, a consultant plastic surgeon revealed how children have suffered partial hand amputations as a result of burns caused by sparklers.

Ann McKenna who works at Cork's Bon Secours Hospital told how children can suffer “catastrophic burns” to their hands as a result of accidents caused by sparklers.

Ms McKenna said at least "one or two children nationally each year" require partial hand amputations as a result.

“As the wire is melting, it reaches a temperature of 1,000-1,600 degrees centigrade,” she revealed. “These are quite magical as we’re looking at them… but as the sparkler is going lower and lower, small children don’t realise the danger it is, and they don’t let go.

“As a result, they sustain a catastrophic burn to their hands, which unfortunately can result in partial or total hand amputations.

As well as the risk of hand burns, Ms McKenna says the sparks from sparklers can also pose a fire risk to Halloween costumes.

She said: “We’ve also seen flame burns coming into the burn unit each year. They're really deadly."

Today's Headlines

More Irish News

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices