| 5.4°C Dublin

lockdown breach Gardai launch probe after more than 100 people gather at Dublin mosque

Footage taken from by-standers showed a large crowd walking out of a back gate of the facility before leaving the area.

Close

Footage taken by onlooker outside Dublin mosque

Footage taken by onlooker outside Dublin mosque

Footage taken by onlooker outside Dublin mosque

Gardaí are investigating a large gathering at a Dublin mosque today which saw over 100 people present at the religious centre.

Local officers were alerted to the Blackpitts Mosque, Dublin 8, this afternoon after a senior garda was made aware of the gathering and the crowd was dispersed.

Footage taken from by-standers showed around 140 people walking out of a back gate of the facility before leaving the area.

The majority of people recorded leaving the Mosque appeared to be wearing face masks.

Current guidelines under the Level 5 Covid restrictions state that religious services should be held online and that places of worship should remain open for private prayer.

In relation to funerals, the attendance is limited to 10 people and that priority should be given to families themselves.

Close

Footage shot by onlooker

Footage shot by onlooker

Footage shot by onlooker

Sources said that gardaí attached to Kevin street garda station are now investigating the gathering.

It’s understood a senior garda in the division was notified after being contacted by a healthcare worker who raised concerns about the number of people present.

Inquiries are now underway to establish what, if any, Covid-19 regulations were breached.

A garda spokesman said that they aware of a religious service that took place in Dublin 8 today.

“Gardaí attended the scene and engaged with those present and they dispersed.

“The Health Act 1947 (Section 31A-Temporary Restrictions) (Covid-19) (No.10) Regulations 2020, as amended, are currently in force.

“In supporting the COVID-19 public health guidelines and regulations, An Garda Síochána has and will continue to adopt, a graduated policing response based on its tradition of policing by consent. This has seen Gardaí engage, educate, encourage and, as a last resort, enforce,” the spokesman said.

“Where Gardaí identify potential breaches of the public health regulations a file is prepared for the DPP in each case or a Fixed Payment Notice is issued where appropriate.

“Personal social responsibility, wearing of face coverings in open spaces and social distancing are public health guidelines and are not penal regulations.

“The COVID-19 Pandemic remains a public health crisis and An Garda Síochána continues to appeal to all citizens to demonstrate personal and social responsibility to comply with Public Health Guidelines and Regulations, in particular essential journeys, in order to continue to save lives,” the spokesman added.

Gardaí have also carried out separate investigations in relation to large gatherings at funerals in other parts of the country.

In Wexford last month gardaí were forced to break up a gathering of around 200 people who attended a funeral near Enniscorthy.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Online Editors


Top Videos





Privacy