| 10.5°C Dublin

witness search Gardai issue fresh appeal after man (35) dies in hospital following Kildare stabbing

Det Gda Paddy Regan told the court how the man's heart was lanced in the incident and he went into cardiac arrest twice on the way to hospital.

Close

Gardai at the scene of the stabbing this morning in Newbridge, Co Kildare. Picture: Colin Keegan/Collins

Gardai at the scene of the stabbing this morning in Newbridge, Co Kildare. Picture: Colin Keegan/Collins

Gardai at the scene of the stabbing this morning in Newbridge, Co Kildare. Picture: Colin Keegan/Collins

Gardaí have issued a fresh appeal for witnesses to a stabbing in Newbridge to come forward after the man, who had been injured in the incident, passed away in hospital.

Gardaí arrived at the scene at Thomas Street, Newbridge where a man in his 30s was discovered with an apparent stab wound on the evening of April 7.

He was treated at the scene by gardaí and paramedics before he was rushed by ambulance to St James's Hospital.

His condition had been described as serious but stable, however, gardai said he had passed away last night.

A man in his 30s who was arrested by gardaí has been charged and appeared before the courts last Thursday.

Danut Scurtu (35) with an address at Rosebud Cottage, Old Connell, Newbridge, appeared before a special sitting of Naas District Court on allegations of assault causing harm on Jan Prochazka and possession of a knife at Patrick Street, Newbridge, on April 7.

Det Gda Paddy Regan told the court how the man's heart was lanced in the incident and he went into cardiac arrest twice on the way to hospital.

He added that when the defendant’s condition stabilised he underwent surgery at St James’s Hospital, Dublin.

The garda claimed that an altercation took place in Eyre Street, Newbridge, about an hour before the stabbing and CCTV images indicated this took place between the defendant and the injured party.

The injury was caused by a flick knife with a four inch blade, the court was told.

Det Gda Regan objected to bail because the defendant has no dependants and he believes he is a flight risk.

He claimed that an hour after the altercation, the defendant was seen in the vicinity of the injured party and in possession of a knife.

It was further claimed that afterwards the defendant was “forced in the direction of the garda station by a passer by.”

Solicitor Tim Kennelly said the defendant had never been in court previously and was prepared to provide €2,000 cash to secure bail.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Judge Desmond Zaidan refused the bail application and remanded the defendant in custody until April 15.

Gardaí have now renewed an appeal for anyone who may have witnessed this incident to come forward. They are particularly appealing to those with camera footage from the Main Street / Thomas Street area of Newbridge at the time of the incident to make it available to them.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Online Editors


Privacy