electric blanket  | 

Fire Brigade remind public to check smoke alarms as they rescue one from blaze in Dublin flat

Dublin Fire Brigade have issued fire safety advice coming up to Christmas
(Niall Carson/PA)

(Niall Carson/PA)

Clodagh Meaney

Dublin Fire Brigade have reminded the public to check their smoke alarms after they safely rescued one person from a blaze in a flat in Dolphins Barn.

In the early hours of this morning, firefighters were called to the scene where they rescued one person from their home.

Taking to social media, they shared a stark image.

“In the early hours of this morning firefighters from Dolphins Barn fire station were called to a fire in a basement flat. One person was rescued from the fire by breathing apparatus teams.”

We need your consent to load this Social Media content. We use a number of different Social Media outlets to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity.

“Check your smoke alarms are working, they give you time to escape.”

It comes just days after they warned the public about the dangers of electric blankets after they tackled a blaze at a home in Dublin.

The fire is believed to have originated from an electric blanket left one person in hospital.

“Firefighters fought a fire overnight that is believed to have originated in an electric blanket,” they wrote, sharing a snap of the room destroyed by the flames.

“If you use an electric blanket please check it for damage, kinks and excessive wear. Replace them after 10 years.”

We need your consent to load this Social Media content. We use a number of different Social Media outlets to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity.

“One to hospital for observation following smoke inhalation,” they said.

As the weather gets colder, many will be warming up their homes by lighting fires.

Dublin Fire Brigade have also given advice on how to avoid chimney fires after they attended the scene of one during the week.

“Are you planning on lighting a fire or stove? When was the last time you had the chimney cleaned? Chimney fires are easily avoided by regular cleaning. Cleaning is cheaper than repairing,” they said, adding a picture of firefighters washing down equipment after tackling a blaze.


Today's Headlines

More Irish News

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices