| 11.8°C Dublin

Devastation Family tell of horror after fire caused by mobile phone charger destroys Dublin home

'I opened the door and smoked just gushed out'

Close

The fire at the Mangan's home destroyed their daughter's room where the blaze began, as well as the kitchen below.

The fire at the Mangan's home destroyed their daughter's room where the blaze began, as well as the kitchen below.

The fire at the Mangan's home destroyed their daughter's room where the blaze began, as well as the kitchen below.

A fundraiser has been launched for a Dublin family after a fire caused by a charging phone destroyed their home.

Actor and musician Steve Mangan returned to his house from work on his lunch break on Wednesday February 9th to find that his family home was on fire.

“I opened the door and smoked just gushed out,” he told SundayWorld.com

Steven and his wife Sinéad live at the home with their 12-year-old daughter Saoirse.

Forensic investigators told the family less than a week later after the incident, that the source of the fire was a mobile phone which was left charging in one of the bedrooms.

“Half of the house was destroyed with smoke, and the other half was destroyed with fire and water,” Steven explained.

The family only recently finished refurbishing their North Dublin home before Christmas.

Close

The iPhone charging in Saoirse's room that was the cause of the blaze

The iPhone charging in Saoirse's room that was the cause of the blaze

The iPhone charging in Saoirse's room that was the cause of the blaze

Now the family are facing hefty bills to repair their home in Darndale after an unfortunate lapse meant that their house was uninsured.

“Our home insurance was due to be renewed last December, but I was out of work so it went on the long finger.”

“The house is inhabitable, it’s boarded up,” Steven said.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

“There’s no gas or electricity so we’re living in a hotel, and the mortgage still needs to be paid.”

“We have to repair the house and replace what we lost, we’re looking at costs of €60,000 to €80,000.”

The family have also lost the majority of their possessions, but luckily nobody was hurt during the fire.

“What wasn’t burned was destroyed by smoke or water.”

A GoFundMe page was set up by a family friend to help them get back on their feet.

“We’re trying to get over the shock, we’re hoping that by this weekend we’ll have a better plan in place.”

While the family are trying to come to terms with what happened, they are focusing on the future and getting back to their home.

“We hope to make our home habitable again so we can move back in.”

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Available now on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or Google Podcasts.

Privacy