positive indications Covid-19: 10,571 new cases confirmed as Nphet meets to discuss lifting restrictions
The number of people in hospital with Covid-19 has continued to fall today, as there are now 896 people with the virus in hospital, down 15 from Wednesday.
There have been 10,571 new cases of Covid-19 confirmed by the National public Health Emergency Team (Nphet) this evening.
There were 5,523 new PCR-confirmed cases confirmed while 5,048 people registered a positive antigen test through the HSE portal on Wednesday. Today’s cases compare with 12,138 new cases on Wednesday,
The number of people in hospital with Covid-19 has continued to fall today, as there are now 896 people with the virus in hospital, down 15 from Wednesday. There are currently 90 people in ICU with Covid-19.
This comes as Nphet prepares to meet this evening to discuss the current Covid-19 situation in Ireland, with all indicators of the disease trending in the right direction.
It’s anticipated that Nphet will recommend the lessening of many restrictions, such as the 8pm curfew on hospitality and entertainment venues and other current curbs such as a cap on attendances at matches.
Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan has recently said that the Omicron wave had much less impact on the health service and the generation of severe outcomes of disease than had been anticipated.
Senior Government officials have signalled that restrictions will be lifted before the end of the month, as was initially anticipated, with next Friday anticipated as the day some restrictions will be ended.
Taoiseach Micheál Martin and Tánaiste Leo Varadkar have indicated that restrictions will not be removed at once and will be done in a phased manner across the next two months.
- Irish man arrested in London accused of stealing high-end cars in Dublin and Kildare areas
- Video captures shocking moment Brinks van transporting money catches fire on the N11
- Shocking video shows girl (15) attacked and beaten by middle-aged woman in Dublin
- Vicky Phelan shares pics of ‘pure bliss’ Co Clare getaway
- Three arrested after car smashes into Irish tanning shop causing huge fire
- What time, channel, team news and all you need to know about Man City v Aston Villa
- Jurgen Klopp with a warning to Man City as Premier League title race reaches conclusion
- Tennis plunged into civil war as ranking points are stripped from Wimbledon over Russia ban
- Fernandinho ‘really proud’ of achievements as he prepares for City swansong
- No hangover next season if Arsenal miss out on Champions League – Mikel Arteta