| 12.5°C Dublin

covid latest Coronavirus Ireland: one further death and 269 new cases of Covid-19 confirmed

Close

Deputy chief medical officer Dr Ronan Glynn. Photo: Stephen Collins

Deputy chief medical officer Dr Ronan Glynn. Photo: Stephen Collins

Deputy chief medical officer Dr Ronan Glynn. Photo: Stephen Collins

There have been one further death in connection with Covid-19 and 269 new cases of the virus confirmed by the National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet) this evening.

This brings the number of people that have died with the virus in Ireland to 4,836, while the total case count in the State has risen to 243,508.

As of 2pm today, there were 181 Covid-19 patients in Irish hospitals, of which 47 are in ICU. This is the lowest number of Covid-19 patients in intensive care settings this year.

838,644 people have received at least one Covid-19 dose, according to the latest HSE data. 349,710 people were fully vaccinated as of Friday, April 16.

Taoiseach Micheál Martin confirmed that over 100,000 people between the age of 66-69 have registered for a vaccine using the HSE’s portal.

“Our vaccine rollout is picking up pace - and we’re moving in the right direction, “ the Taoiseach said on Twitter.

Earlier today Health Minister Stephen Donnelly confirmed that people under 30 will not receive a vaccine before those aged 30-50, despite saying earlier this week that he directed officials to examine the possibility.

The Minister confirmed today that he had asked Deputy Chief Medical Officer Dr Ronan Glynn whether any data supported this notion.

“The short answer is no.. it certainly wasn’t floated and there is no plan in place.

“There is no plan to do this, no proposal to do this. I was just checking in with the Deputy CMO to see where the data was,” Minister Donnelly told Newstalk Radio today.

Minister Donnelly said his Department is “constantly probing” into the data behind the vaccination rollout and the profile of the disease and he was just putting a question to the Deputy CMO on the matter.

“All I was doing was checking in with the Deputy CMO to see if the data was there [to support vaccinating younger people first] and he said it wasn’t,” Minister Donnelly said.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Minister Donnelly also confirmed the possibility of extending the time interval between first and second Pfizer and Moderna vaccine doses is being taken “very seriously” and said he expects a recommendation on the matter this week.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Online Editors


Privacy