| 1.5°C Dublin

'I am ashamed' Conor McGregor slams government's response to Covid crisis in series of deleted tweets

The pugilist said the government's announcement of new measures was 'hypocritical'

Close

Conor McGregor is waiting on a new Ferrari

Conor McGregor is waiting on a new Ferrari

Conor McGregor is waiting on a new Ferrari

Conor McGregor has apparently deleted a series of tweets in which he slammed the Irish Government's response to the latest Covid crisis, saying he was "ashamed".

In a number of messages sent out on the social media platform, the UFC star described Taoiseach Micheal Martin’s confirmation of new measures to be taken in a bid to slow the spread of number of the disease as “hypocritical”.

“For [Tánaiste of Ireland] Leo [Varadkar] to come out today on foreign soil, and directly blame the non vaccinated, is the most divisive comment I’ve seen yet," he stormed.

"It is neither the vaccinated, nor non vaccinated, nor any Irish citizen for that matter, that is responsible for this unpreparedness. It is government!

“Ireland and it’s people, with its high vaccination rate, after enduring the longest lockdown in the free world, is not to blame for the undersupply of our healthcare system.

"Those in government are! Almost 3 years to bolster this for our people, and nothing.

"Ireland will rise!

“We are almost 3 years into this. We have came together time and time again! Gone above and beyond what has been asked of us! Yet all we have gotten back is hypocritical address after hypocritical address! The audacity! I am ashamed of my nations government at this time.

"There is just no backing from me here anymore. We will rise! Tonight's address read like an advert to me. When Ireland stands. The world will know."

Yesterday, Mr Martin said he could not rule out further measures to tackle the spread of Covid-19.

A range of fresh measures to address a worrying rise in Covid-19 cases, which has left Ireland’s health system under severe pressure heading into the winter will see pubs, nightclubs and restaurants in Ireland will have a midnight closing time from Thursday.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

People will also be urged to work from home from Friday, if they can.

Mr Martin confirmed on Tuesday evening that Covid-19 passes will be required for cinemas and theatres.

Yet he also said that he could not be sure the measures will be enough to curb the spread of the virus.

McGregor previously supported lockdown measures, saying he was "scared for his family" when he sent out a heartfelt plea to stay at home and save lives at the start of the pandemic.

In a video, which was shared in March 2020 after Ireland was plunged further into lockdown, McGregor said: "We have now entered a more substantial lockdown and I am pleased to see it.

"To the Irish public, we must abide by the legislation put forth tonight by our leaders. No further than two kilometres from home, no unessential travel and full closure of non-essential business.

"Now more than ever we must abide by this and I pray for the health and safety of our country that we do. The fate of our lives and the lives of our loved ones depends on it."

But, he later admitted that he no longer felt that way about the situation.

The Notorious said: "This was early 2020 when people where 'collapsing in the streets' I was scared for my family.

"I urged everyone to sit tight for a few weeks to see where we land. My opinion on this situation now is night and day to then.

"I actually feel I was lied to originally. As were we all."

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy