| 4.7°C Dublin

Tough Talk  Conor McGregor lashes out at rival after old tweet resurfaces

The Crumlin native was not happy about the jibe

Close

"The takeover part two. I'm in on that takeover part two. You've got my comeback for that. I'll be back for that"

"The takeover part two. I'm in on that takeover part two. You've got my comeback for that. I'll be back for that"

"The takeover part two. I'm in on that takeover part two. You've got my comeback for that. I'll be back for that"

Conor McGregor has lashed out as his rival Islam Makhachev after one of his tweets from 2015 resurfaced.

The six-year-old tweet which said “I can’t imagine that after all his talk, Conor loses,” included a picture of McGregor and Chad Mendes before they fought it out for the interim featherweight title at UFC 189.

The tweet suggested that the Irishman would lose the match, but Conor didn’t take the jibe too well.

“Can you not, you inbred?,” he blasted. “What about the one after that then? You are nobody without me, don’t forget. Beg me. If I leave shit on the bus on he a nobody like you ahahahaha he still is, kid. A nobody at the big bank. Shit the bus and now he lives off your work,” McGregor taunted.

Conor talked up his fight with Chad ‘Money’ Mendes and boasted to many that he would win the fight, which he did. Conor took the title when he knocked out his rival in round two.

After the twitter spat, a fan requested that Conor fight Makhachev and he didn’t seem too keen.

“No. His cousin is his dad,” he replied.

Earlier this week Conor defended Islam Makhachev’s use of a kimura during UFC 267 after he almost broke Dan Hooker’s arm with a submission on October 30th.

“Defence to the kimura,” Conor’s tweet began. “Stop that step over the head at all cost. Keep that hand wrapped around the back to stop it and be presented with a lovely opportunity to knee the eyeball. I call it the springbok knee. Legalize!!!,” he wrote.

Conor has been out of the ring since July after he broke his leg during a match with Dustin Poirier but has recently returned to training after promising the “greatest comeback in sports history.”

Sharing a video of his first time back on the pads he said: “What a buzz!

“I’ll be back, bitches! Back with a vengeance! Thank you to all my doctors and my team for getting me this far so soon after surgery!

"There is work to be done but doing work is what I’m known for. Strap yourselves in for the greatest comeback in sports history!”

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

With two fights remaining on his current contract with UFC, McGregor no doubt has his eye on climbing back up the UFC's lightweight top 10 fighters after slipping down the rankings from fourth to seventh place.

Even though Conor is away from the octagon, there is no shortage of Irish talent as he sent his best wishes to Irish MMA fighter Ian Garry who is set to make his debut at UFC 268.

“Good luck to Ireland’s Ian Garry making his UFC debut tonight at MSG! Enjoy it all my man, the stuff dreams are made of! A solid young Irish fighter to keep an eye on Flag of Ireland. Let’s go,” he tweeted.

The 23-year-old welterweight is favourite to beat Jordan Williams when the pair open the preliminary card at Madison Square Garden tonight. The match coverage will air in Ireland on BT Sport from midnight. Kamaru Usman and Colby Covington are set to headline the event in their rematch, coverage of that match will be aired at 2am Irish time.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy