| 7.8°C Dublin

'old news' Conor McGregor addresses High Court lawsuit ahead of UFC return versus Dustin Poirier

A woman known to McGregor for many years filed the personal injury lawsuit against him and a co-defendant in the High Court in Dublin.

Close

Conor McGregor called the news of the lawsuits agianst him "old news".

Conor McGregor called the news of the lawsuits agianst him "old news".

Conor McGregor called the news of the lawsuits agianst him "old news".

Dublin UFC fighter Conor McGregor has reacted to a multi-million euro lawsuit lodged against him this week, describing it as “old news”.

A woman known to McGregor for many years filed the personal injury lawsuit against him and a co-defendant in the High Court in Dublin.

A second, smaller claim, also a personal injuries action, has been lodged by the woman’s mother.

The nature of the allegations made in the lawsuits cannot be disclosed at present for legal reasons.

Mr McGregor was asked about the lawsuits in the UFC 257 pre-fight press conference.

"It’s old news, it was investigated thoroughly over the course of two long years and I was cleared of any wrongdoing, and that’s it," McGregor said.

“I have so much positivity in my life, I have got a great challenge ahead of me on Saturday night and I’m very excited to get in there."

The matter was previously the subject of an extensive investigation by gardai.

However, the Office of the Director of Public Prosecution decided no charges should be brought.

In a statement to Independent.ie earlier this week, Mr McGregor’s spokesperson Karen J Kessler said: “After an exhaustive investigation conducted by the Gardaí which, in addition to interviews of the plaintiff, included interviewing numerous sources, obtaining witnesses' statements, examining closed circuit footage and the cooperation of Conor McGregor, these allegations were categorically rejected.

“The plaintiff knows the facts contradict the assertions in this lawsuit. Mr McGregor will dispute any claims and is confident that justice will prevail.”

Both women suing Mr McGregor are represented by Coleman Legal Partners, a firm which specialises in personal injury.

Partner Dave Coleman said: “Proceedings have been served. We can make no further comment as the matter is before the courts.”

Mr McGregor is being represented by Michael J Staines & Company, one of the country’s leading law firms.

The two women are looking for two separate trials. It is thought each trial would involve several witnesses having to give evidence.

McGregor will return to the octagon in Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, this Sunday morning for the first time since January 19 last year, when he squares off against Dustin Poirier for a lightweight bout.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Online Editors


Privacy