| 8.3°C Dublin

Bomb bhoy Celtic fan allegedly called in hoax threat as team were losing to Rangers


Close

James Joseph Doherty at his door this week

James Joseph Doherty at his door this week

James Joseph Doherty at his door this week

This is the Celtic fanatic who allegedly phoned a bomb warning to Ibrox stadium because his team were getting beaten by Rangers!

James Joseph Doherty (34), from Carnhill in Derry, is charged with making the bomb hoax during an Old Firm derby last May.

At the time Rangers were comprehensively beating Celtic, who had already won the Scottish Premiership title at a canter weeks before.

The case was mentioned at Derry Magistrates Court this week where his solicitor stated Doherty had made "admissions" during his police interview.

Close

James Joseph Doherty at his door this week

James Joseph Doherty at his door this week

James Joseph Doherty at his door this week

This week we called at Doherty's home to ask him about the bizarre allegation.

However, after being asked if he'd like to comment on the case he slammed his front door shut, shouting "No" as he did.

Celtic lost the match 2-0 with James Tavernier and Scott Arfield scoring the goals but Hoops fans were left feeling aggrieved after Rangers player Jon Flanagan escaped a red card for using his elbow in a tackle.

The case was mentioned during a sitting of Derry Magistrates Court on Monday where a defence lawyer outlined the allegation.

"It's a hoax bomb case where the allegation is that Celtic were getting beat, he rang Ibrox and said there was a bomb at the stadium," he said.

"I don't think it affected the result, if my memory is right."

The solicitor said his client had made "admissions at interview" and suggested a guilty plea was likely.

But he added: "For some reason I'm not absolutely in a position to confirm that."

The lawyer told district judge Barney McElholm if the charge was contested it would be a relatively short hearing, based on the legal papers in the case.

"What I can say is, if it's not a plea, it'll be a very short contest on the papers," he said.

The solicitor asked for the case to be adjourned for two weeks.

Judge McElholm listed the matter to be heard again on November 19.