all clear | 

All airport roads reopen after last night's out-of-control truck horror crash

Five people were injured in the multi-vehicle collision with one brought to Beaumont Hospital
Gardaí investigate the scene were a number of vehicles were involved in a crash near Dublin airport. Photo: Damien Storan.

Gardaí investigate the scene were a number of vehicles were involved in a crash near Dublin airport. Photo: Damien Storan.

Neil Fetherstonhaugh

The Dublin Airport Authority has said all roads that were closed after last night’s shocking incident involving a truck that crashed into several vehicles have now reopened.

The authority also said that they hoped all those injured will make a speedy recovery to health.

Gardai have also said that they have completed their technical examination of the scene and reopened all the roads into the Dublin Airport complex.

It follows last night’s drama that unfolded when several people were injured after a large truck hit multiple cars and a bus on the Terminal 1 departures road of Dublin Airport.

Eventually the out-of-control truck came to a stop near the Circle K garage exiting the airport.

Emergency services rushed to the scene which occurred at around 7.20pm.

According to the DAA, a number of minor injuries were reported, none of which were life threatening.

"Some of those injured have been brought to hospital," it said in a statement.

A Garda spokesperson, meanwhile, said a number of cars were also damaged.

Because of the crash, motorists were advised to avoid the Dublin Airport complex where possible due to road closures.

The Irish Times said this morning that it is understood the driver of the lorry suffered some form of medical trauma that resulted in the collisions.

He was treated at the scene by emergency services. His truck initially hit a number of vehicles outside Terminal One before making its way to the nearby Circle K garage where more vehicles were hit.

RTE reported that five people were injured in a “multi-vehicle collision” at Dublin Airport on Wednesday evening with one of the injured brought to Beaumont Hospital to receive medical treatment.

It said the others reportedly sustained minor injuries while one taxi driver needed to be cut from his vehicle after a crash.

Witness Lauren Ashton told RTE: “There was a lot of confusion but the gardai were efficient at getting lanes open again.”

“We came out of the airport at Terminal One departures but were not allowed to leave (and) we were escorted back inside.

“The area was completely gridlocked.”

The incident, which happened at around 7.20pm, saw road closures around the airport at one of the busiest times of the year.

Ms Ashton added that she and her mother, who had travelled from Manchester to visit family in Wicklow, were left waiting almost an hour to be collected by a friend due to traffic delays around the airport.

She added: “We walked down to Terminal Two and saw more ambulances and garda cars there.

“There was a lot of confusion, but the gardaí were efficient at getting lanes open again.”

Today's Headlines

More Irish News

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices