| 9.9°C Dublin

Hack update 'Good progress' with restoration of hospital IT systems following cyber attack on HSE

Already some systems, including the National Integrated Medical Imaging System used for radiology and cardiology, is back up and running at Beaumont Hospital

Close

Health Minister Stephen Donnelly. Photo: Frank McGrath

Health Minister Stephen Donnelly. Photo: Frank McGrath

Health Minister Stephen Donnelly. Photo: Frank McGrath

Government Ministers have been updated on the “good progress” made with the restoration of HSE and hospital IT systems.

Ministers met today to review progress with the response to last week’s cyber-attack on the HSE and to co-ordinate ongoing actions across Government.

Ministers Eamon Ryan, Stephen Donnelly, Heather Humphreys and Ossian Smyth were told the restoration of HSE and hospital IT systems is essential to the restoration of care for patients and to support the personnel in the front line who are delivering care.

According to the HSE, the Ministers expressed their appreciation for the exceptional efforts of frontline health care workers in the difficult circumstances caused by the cyber-attack.

“The National Cyber Security Centre, the HSE and specialist contractors are continuing to implement a detailed and dedicated operational programme to repair and restore the HSE’s IT systems and network, and are making very steady progress in what is a difficult and complex task,” the HSE said in a statement this evening.

Already, it has been reported that some systems, including the National Integrated Medical Imaging System, used for radiology and cardiology, is back up and running in Beaumont Hospital.

HSE boss Paul Reid tweeted this afternoon: “Access to the unlocking codes to our network is welcome. But it isn't a "switch back on" process & still fraught with risk. We'll continue to rebuild services & systems safely whilst evaluating the impact of these codes. The impact remains for the coming weeks for now.”

Junior minister Niall Collins has said that "no effort is being spared” to work to restore the Health Service Executive's IT system.

Speaking on RTÉ’s Saturday with Katie Hannon programme, Niall Collins said the positive and robust move to get a court order to prevent stolen HSE data being distributed was welcome.

However, the Fianna Fáil TD said that the Government needs to have a stepped-up public awareness campaign to highlight to people what could transpire if data is leaked online.

Sinn Féin’s health spokesperson David Cullinane said that an IT modernisation programme that is fit-for-purpose needs to be introduced across the health service to upgrade equipment alongside systems, while strengthening cyber security.

Speaking on the same programme he said that "if criminal gangs can penetrate our health services and almost bring it to our knees... obviously something needs to be done about that".

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

The co-leader of the Social Democrats, Róisín Shortall, told the programme that "there is no doubt care will be delayed" as a result of the cyber attack and there will be implications as a result of that.

She said that priority needs to be to get the system up and running as soon as possible after which the "big concern" then is that the stolen data is going to be shared.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Privacy