| 2.1°C Dublin

selfie outrage Funeral worker who took a selfie with Diego Maradona’s body begs for forgiveness after receiving death threats

Close

maradona

maradona

maradona

A funeral worker who took a selfie with Diego Maradona’s body says he has received death threats as he begged forgiveness from the legend’s family and fans.

Claudio Fernández admitted to local radio yesterday that he and his son Sebastián had been in the selfie taken with Maradona's body, in which his son also gives a thumbs up.

Another worker, a man in a white shirt in another shot, Diego Molina, was also fired from the funeral home Sepelios Pinier following social media outrage over the pictures.

In the hours surrounding Maradona's funeral on Thursday night, pictures surfaced on social media of three undertakers posing next to the body of the Argentine football legend.

The owner of the funeral home, Matías Picón, was devastated when he learned of what his now former employees had done.

He also clarified that they were not full-time employees and were only hired to help because Maradona's cedar chest was heavy and difficult to move.

According to Matías Picón, the three undertakers were not wearing their phones in the chapel, so the selfies were taken when the coffin with Maradona's body was waiting to be transported to Argentina's presidential palace in the capital Buenos Aires early Thursday morning.

Picón also revealed that he had called Maradona's ex-wife, Claudia Villafañe, to apologise and to explain what had happened. According to Picón, she was furious.

Diego Maradona's lawyer says he will sue the undertakers.

Fernández has said he has received death threats from others living in the El Paternal neighbourhood, where Maradona made his professional debut in 1976 for Argentinos Juniors.

“They know me,” he said. “ I'm from the neighbourhood. They say they will kill us, crush our heads.”

Fernández insisted he had no knowledge that the others had planned to take a picture.

“It just happened,” he added. “ I had just lifted my head and my son did it like any child at 18.”

It has also emerged that prosecutors are investigating whether the death of Maradona could have involved medical negligence.

Maradona’s lawyer, Matias Morla, had earlier called for an investigation into claims that ambulances took more than half an hour to reach the football star’s house in response to an emergency call on the day of his death.

A preliminary autopsy report established that Maradona died in his sleep at noon on Wednesday of “acute lung edema and chronic heart failure”.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Online Editors


Privacy