July 28th, 2017

Gallery: Shock images from yesterday's armed standoff in Dublin

Crime Desk

THESE were the dramatic scenes when armed gardai surrounded a house during a “siege situation” that lasted for more than four hours on a south Dublin housing estate.

Reports indicate that a man in his 40s who was at the centre of the incident was found with a replica firearm.

He was being treated in hospital last night after being detained by gardai under the Mental Health Act.

It is understood that he had taken a “large quantity” of medication and substances before the stand-off began.

Gardai requested a media blackout as details of the incident at the house in Ballyogan Green in Carrickmines began to emerge.

The incident began at 11.20am when a member of the public reported having seen a disturbance involving the man and his partner.

That person told gardai they believed the man was armed with a gun.

Unarmed gardai from Cabinteely responded to the situation and it is alleged that the man pointed what was believed to be a firearm at them.

Armed garda units were then sent to the scene, where the man’s partner was ‘held hostage’ in the house for around an hour.

After negotiations involving trained officers, the woman was freed at around 12.30pm, upset but unharmed.

Her partner then became increasingly agitated and told gardai he was armed with a grenade as well as a gun.

This led to the Army’s bomb disposal unit being sent to the scene as dozens of armed gardai watched the house.

The situation ended at 3.30pm when the man finally gave himself up to gardai and was taken to hospital.

He surrendered to officers at the scene, eventually leaving by the front door with his hands held up. It is not known if he will face any criminal charges in relation to the incident.

 He is previously known to gardai in relation to mental health issues.

The gun was found to be a replica firearm and no grenade was found in the property.

Neighbours were evacuated from the scene and others were prevented from going back to their houses during the incident.

Last night, Fine Gael senator Neale Richmond, who lives in the area, said local residents found the incident “very shocking”.

“I’m relieved this awful situation was resolved peacefully,” he said.