| 5.2°C Dublin

legal fight Conor McGregor launches his defence in multi-million civil case taken by woman and her mother

McGregor files affidavit after young woman and her mother launched High Court action

Close

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor has begun his legal defence of the multi-million euro civil case filed against him in the High Court by a young woman and her mother.

The nature of the allegations made in the women's lawsuits cannot be disclosed at present for legal reasons.

Records exclusively obtained by the Sunday World show McGregor submitted his opening affidavit to the High Court in relation to the older woman's case against him on March 24.

This is the first occasion, bar a memo of appearance, on which documents have been filed in relation to either case by McGregor's legal team.

The contents of the affidavit are sealed until such time as they are opened during proceedings but legal sources say they are likely to contain an unequivocal rejection of the claims made against him.

The civil case filed by the young woman is a personal injury lawsuit. She is seeking a sum of between €1,475,110 and €1,759,850 in compensation.

A second, smaller claim, also a personal injuries action, has been lodged by the woman's mother.

An associate of McGregor (32) is also named as a co-defendant in the actions, which have been filed in the High Court in Dublin. The UFC fighter and his associate have denied any wrongdoing.

Close

McGregor in the octagon against Dustin Poirier

McGregor in the octagon against Dustin Poirier

McGregor in the octagon against Dustin Poirier

The matter was previously the subject of an extensive investigation by An Garda Siochana.

However, the Office of the DPP decided no charges should be brought.

In a statement issued after the young woman filed her case last January, McGregor's spokesperson, Karen J Kessler, said McGregor would be fully contesting the woman's claims.

"After an exhaustive investigation conducted by the gardai which, in addition to interviews of the plaintiff, included interviewing numerous sources, obtaining witnesses' statements, examining closed circuit footage and the cooperation of Conor McGregor, these allegations were categorically rejected," she said.

"Mr McGregor will dispute any claims and is confident that justice will prevail."

Asked about the claims, in the run up to his pre-fight press conference ahead of his clash with Dustin Poirier in January, McGregor described the case as 'old news.'

"It's old news, it was investigated thoroughly over the course of two long years and I was cleared of any wrongdoing, and that's it," McGregor said.

Both women suing McGregor are represented by Coleman Legal Partners, a firm which specialises in personal injury, medical negligence and historical abuse cases.

The two women are looking for two separate trials. It is thought each trial would involve several witnesses having to give evidence.

McGregor is being represented by Michael J Staines & Company, one of the country's leading law firms.

One-time plumber's apprentice McGregor is one of the highest paid athletes in the world.

According to business magazine Forbes, he earned €39.6m in the 12 months to May 2020 from winnings and endorsements.

The father-of-two was estimated to be worth €148m by the Sunday Independent 'Rich List' last year when he was riding high on the success of his whiskey brand Proper Twelve, named after the Dublin postcode where he grew up.

He has had a number of scrapes with the law in recent years.

In April 2018, he threw a metal dolly at the window of a moving bus inside Barclays Centre in Brooklyn, injuring a number of fighters who were on the bus. He pleaded no contest to disorderly conduct.

In March 2019, he was arrested in Miami Beach and accused of breaking a man's phone. The case was dropped, as was a lawsuit, after McGregor and the man reached a settlement out of court.

In 2019 he was fined €1,000 by Dublin District Court for punching a man in the face in a pub.

The court heard McGregor had 18 previous convictions, the majority of which were in relation to road traffic offences.

He had a previous assault conviction from 2009 when he was an apprentice plumber.

News of the latest developments in the civil case come just days after McGregor failed in a separate legal action involving a clothing firm over sportswear that bears his name.

He had applied to register his name as a trademark in order to sell clothing in Europe.

This was opposed by the McGregor fashion label, founded by David Doniger almost 100 years ago and now owned by a Dutch company.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Online Editors


Top Videos





Privacy