| 18.4°C Dublin

in a sorry state Chrissy Teigen the latest in a long line of celebs taking to social media to apologise for past behaviour

Teigen joins celebrities who hold their hands up online over past missteps which came back to haunt them

Close

HOLLYWOOD, CALIFORNIA - NOVEMBER 14: Rihanna attends the "Queen & Slim" Premiere at AFI FEST 2019 presented by Audi at the TCL Chinese Theatre on November 14, 2019 in Hollywood, California.  (Photo by Frazer Harrison/Getty Images)

HOLLYWOOD, CALIFORNIA - NOVEMBER 14: Rihanna attends the "Queen & Slim" Premiere at AFI FEST 2019 presented by Audi at the TCL Chinese Theatre on November 14, 2019 in Hollywood, California. (Photo by Frazer Harrison/Getty Images)

Rita Ora. Photo: PA Wire

Rita Ora. Photo: PA Wire

/


MOST of us are big enough to say 'sorry' if we've offended someone.

Celebrities are no different, but these days they increasingly take to social media to profess their apologies.

Actress Chrissy Teigen is the latest well-known face to offer an online apology for her behaviour.

Chrissy, who's married to singer John Legend, said she is apologising to the people she insulted in her previous social media posts.

Several insensitive tweets recently resurfaced, showing Teigen (35) taking aim at model/singer Courtney Stodden, Teen Mom star Farrah Abraham and Lindsay Lohan.

In one tweet, Teigen told Stodden, who married 51-year-old actor Doug Hutchison at 16 and subsequently appeared on reality television shows, to take a "dirt nap." Stodden claimed Teigen also used to send the then-teenager direct messages and once allegedly once messaged: "I can't wait for you to die."

Last month, the mum-of-two issued a public apology to Stodden on Twitter, saying she was "mortified and sad" at who she used to be when she wrote the tweets.

Support

"I was an insecure, attention seeking troll. I am ashamed and completely embarrassed at my behaviour but that is nothing compared to how I made Courtney feel," Teigen said, adding that she tried to privately connect with Stodden - who identifies as nonbinary and whose recent interview touched on Hutchison's behaviour in their relationship - and she hopes Stodden knows how sorry she is.

In her latest post, Teigen said she is now in the process of privately reaching out to the other people she insulted.

"I understand that they may not want to speak to me. I don't think I'd like to speak to me. (The real truth in all of this is how much I actually cannot take confrontation)," she said. "But if they do, I am here and I will listen to what they have to say, while apologising through sobs."

Teigen admitted she was a "troll" and her targets didn't need her horrible tweets. "Many of them needed empathy, kindness, understanding and support, not my meanness masquerading as a kind of casual, edgy humour," she said.

Other celebrities have also taken to social media to offer online apologies over things they've admitted they've done wrong.

Florence Pugh

Florence Pugh shared a lengthy post on Instagram last June apologising for past cultural appropriation.

The 25-year-old Little Women actress admitted that when she was younger, she did things like wear corn rows or sport Rastafarian attire in a way that wasn't "respectful in how I was using it." "Stupid doesn't even cut it, I was uneducated. I was unread," she wrote.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

"I cannot dismiss the actions I bought into years ago but I believe that we who were blind to such things must acknowledge them and recognise them as our faults, our ignorance and our white privilege and I apologise profusely that it took this long."

Ellen DeGeneres

Close

The most unexpected celebrity controversy to hit headlines last year was undoubtedly the Ellen DeGeneres fallout.

Talk of the popular 63-year-old TV host allegedly fostering a toxic work environment isn't at all reflective of her hyper-positive personality. Following the allegations, an investigation was carried out, which Ellen (right) addressed in her first monologue online last September.

She said: "I learned that things happened here that never should have happened. I take that very seriously, and I want to say I am so sorry to the people who were affected. I know that I'm in a position of privilege and power, and I realise that with that comes responsibility, and I take responsibility for what happens at my show."

Rita Ora

Close

Rita Ora. Photo: PA Wire

Rita Ora. Photo: PA Wire

Rita Ora. Photo: PA Wire

One celeb who moved quickly after finding herself at the centre of controversy was Rita Ora. After attending her 30th birthday celebration at a restaurant in London and breaking lockdown restrictions last year, the singer uploaded a statement to her Instagram stories addressing her rule-break.

It didn't seem to do her any favours though, as in what seemed like an attempt to minimise her responsibility, the first paragraph pointed out that it was just a "small gathering" and "a spur-of-the-moment decision made with the misguided view that we were coming out of lockdown."

But followers noted on the social media platform, pictures of Ora posing at the restaurant flanked by enormous bouquets of flowers and dozens of gold helium balloons didn't exactly corroborate this explanation.

It also emerged she was in further breach of restrictions as she should have been self-isolating after flying into the UK from Egypt several days prior.

Kay Burley

Another familiar face found flouting Covid-19 rules last year was Kay Burley.

Like Ora, the Sky News presenter chose to celebrate her birthday and was joined by several colleagues.

After news of the gathering was leaked to the press, Burley posted an apology on Twitter, saying: "I want to apologise to you all for an error of judgment.

"On Saturday night I was enjoying my 60th birthday at a Covid-compliant restaurant. I am embarrassed to say that later in the evening I inadvertently broke the rules. I had been waiting for a taxi at 11pm to get home. Desperate for the loo, I briefly popped into another restaurant to spend a penny. I can only apologise."

Burley was off air for six months as a result.

Lana Del Rey

Lana Del Rey landed in hot water a couple of times in the past few months.

Most recently, the singer was called out by Kehlani, Tinashe and others for sharing videos that showed looting and revealed demonstrators' faces at protests against police brutality. Her posts, which Kehlani said "[endangered] the lives of black people" by disclosing identities, were later deleted.

The R&B singer was actually one of the artists named by Del Rey (35) in her controversial statement from May last year, in which she attacked critics who say her music is "glamorising abuse" while Cardi B, Nicki Minaj, and others have notched hits "about being sexy, wearing no clothes, f***ing, cheating, etc."

After users said she was attacking women of colour, Del Rey remained unapologetic, saying the artists were her "favourite f***ing people," In a follow-up post, she told fans that "making it about race says so much more about you than it does about me."

Jimmy Fallon

Close

While Jimmy Fallon's Saturday Night Live sketch from 2000, in which he wore blackface to impersonate Chris Rock, had been periodically resurfaced and criticised, the comedian never publicly addressed it before last year.

"There is no excuse for this. I am very sorry for making this unquestionably offensive decision and thank all of you for holding me accountable," the 46-year-old tweeted in May last year.

Bryan Adams

Close

It's ironic that Bryan Adams (right) has a song called Please Forgive Me because that's exactly what the Canadian singer asked in May last year.

The musician vented about not being able to perform in London due to Covid-19, which he blamed China for. "Thanks to some f***ing bat eating, wet market animal selling, virus making greedy bastards, the whole world is now on hold," Adams captioned his Instagram video. The 61-year-old singer apologised, after people accused him of complaining and spreading xenophobic misinformation. "I have love for all people and my thoughts are with everyone dealing with this pandemic around the world," he captioned his post.

David Byrne

Last September David Byrne apologised for a 1984 skit in which the former Talking Heads frontman appears in brownface and blackface in a video for the band's concert film Stop Making Sense.

"I acknowledge it was a major mistake in judgement that showed a lack of real understanding," Byrne (69) tweeted. "It's like looking in a mirror and seeing someone else - you're not, or were not, the person you thought you were. We have huge blind spots about ourselves - well, I certainly do. I'd like to think I am beyond making mistakes like this, but clearly at the time I was not."

Rihanna

Close

HOLLYWOOD, CALIFORNIA - NOVEMBER 14: Rihanna attends the "Queen & Slim" Premiere at AFI FEST 2019 presented by Audi at the TCL Chinese Theatre on November 14, 2019 in Hollywood, California.  (Photo by Frazer Harrison/Getty Images)

HOLLYWOOD, CALIFORNIA - NOVEMBER 14: Rihanna attends the "Queen & Slim" Premiere at AFI FEST 2019 presented by Audi at the TCL Chinese Theatre on November 14, 2019 in Hollywood, California. (Photo by Frazer Harrison/Getty Images)

HOLLYWOOD, CALIFORNIA - NOVEMBER 14: Rihanna attends the "Queen & Slim" Premiere at AFI FEST 2019 presented by Audi at the TCL Chinese Theatre on November 14, 2019 in Hollywood, California. (Photo by Frazer Harrison/Getty Images)

While fans have praised Rihanna's brand Savage x Fenty for its inclusion of models of all looks and backgrounds, the mogul had to apologise in October for a misstep during the lingerie collection's Vol. 2 fashion show. Fans pointed out that Coucou Chloe's Doom, a song the models danced to during the show, remixed a Hadith narration.

In Islam, the Hadith is a sacred scripture of the sayings and traditions of the Prophet Mohammed.

Rihanna (33) addressed the backlash on Instagram, apologising for an "honest, yet careless mistake." "We understand that we have hurt many of our Muslim brothers and sisters, and I'm incredibly disheartened by this!" she wrote.

Anne Hathaway

Close

In November, Anne Hathaway apologised for "the pain caused" to people with limb differences by her character in HBO Max's The Witches.

In the Roald Dahl adaptation, Hathaway portrays the evil Grand High Witch, who has three fingers on each hand that resemble the congenital disorder ectrodactyly.

"Now that I know better I promise I'll do better," the 38-year-old actress wrote on Instagram.


Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy