| 15.5°C Dublin

Garda appeal Third man arrested in relation to North Dublin assault is released without charge 

Gardai say a file will now be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions

Close

A Garda crime scene investigator examines the scene of a serious assault near Ballybough Cemetery in Fairview (Photo: Frank McGrath)

A Garda crime scene investigator examines the scene of a serious assault near Ballybough Cemetery in Fairview (Photo: Frank McGrath)

A Garda crime scene investigator examines the scene of a serious assault near Ballybough Cemetery in Fairview (Photo: Frank McGrath)

A third man who was arrested in relation to an assault in North Dublin that left a man in his 60s with severe head injuries has been released without charge. 

Gardai say a file will now be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

The man, aged in his 20s, was arrested as part of an investigation into the incident which occurred at Fairview Strand, Dublin 3 on June 7. Two other men who had been arrested have also been released without charge.

The victim was found lying unconscious on the street on Monday night.

Gardai said that at approximately 11.10pm they received a report that a man had been assaulted a by a number of individuals.

When officers rushed to the scene, a man was discovered “in an unconscious state."

He was taken by emergency services to the Mater Hospital to be treated for what were described as serious injuries.

It is understood the victim, who is from the Donaghmede area of the capital, became involved in an altercation with a number of young men in the Fairview area.

Gardaí sealed off a section of pavement outside the old Jewish cemetery, and a house across the road from it on Fairview Strand.

Members of the garda technical bureau carried out a forensic examination of the scene, and took samples from bloodstains on the footpath.

Locals said they were first alerted to the incident when they saw the blue lights from the emergency service vehicles.

One Fairview strand resident said: "I could see the man on the ground and all the ambulance crews around him."

Gardaí are continuing to appeal for anyone with information in relation to this incident, to contact them at Raheny Garda Station on 01 666 4300 or the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Privacy